Notice: This is a 16 amp / 230 volt device and should only be connected directly to a suitable outlet. Do not connect via extension lead(s).
(pls kill atmos)
This is a Trotec Speedy 300, on extended loan to us by Trotec UK. It is a professional-grade laser cutter and is a very high-quality machine. It is used for cutting and engraving many materials including plywood, perspex, card, leather, some plastics and many others.
- This machine should not be operated without induction.
- This machine should not be left unattended during operation.
Cutting area : 726 x 432 mm
Maximum cut depth: 12 mm
Maximum work piece height: 200 mm
Training - At the trainer’s discretion, paid direct to SLMS
Materials - Please supply your own, although the
In return for the loan of the laser cutter, we have promised to promote interesting projects. Please consider writing up your project for our blog, or tagging @trotecuk and @ldn_makerspace on twitter.
Using the Laser Cutter
- Attend an induction session
- Use the correct settings for your material (see table below)
- Log your use in this form
You must not use the laser cutter without being inducted first. Improper use can cause serious damage to the machine. Notice of inductions will be posted in #admin:induction-sessions , where members must reserve a spot beforehand.
Permitted Materials & settings
Updated Materials & Settings List Forthcoming
- Polyurethane foams
- All non-laser-rated wood
- Circuit boards
- All metals
If your material is not explicitly permitted or forbidden, please start a thread in #discussion to get everyone’s opinion before attempting a cut.
Description of Task
Using a high powered computer controlled laser burning process to cutting blank stock material such as wood and plastic to a pattern from a digital file.
|Hazard||Risk Rating||Control Measure||Residual Risk|
|Fire||Low||Users required to use approved materials only, correctly set speed & power settings for the material and never leave machine running unattended. CO2 fire extinguisher provided.||Very Low|
|Exposure to laser light||Low||Machine enclosed and lid fitted with interlock not to be overridden, according to Type 1 laser regulations.||Very Low|
|Electrocution||Low||Servicing restricted to authorised and trained personnel.||Very Low|
|Harmful/toxic fumes||Low||Users advised to use approved materials only. Strictly no PVC or polyurethane foams.||Very Low|
- The fume and dust-control systems must be properly maintained, tested annually and the filters changed according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Used filters should be sealed into strong plastic bags before placing them in the waste.
These steps to be run through at each induction
- Remember which materials can and cannot be cut (see materials list above).
- Prepare your drawing files on another computer. Laser PC is for running the laser
- The “paper size” of the laser cutter is 740x438mm
- Set your line colour appropriately: In general, Black (0,0,0) = raster engrave, Red (255,0,0) = score, Blue (0,0,255) = cut.
- Set your line width to “hairline” or 0.001 inches
- More advanced settings are possible. Each colour can have individual cut or engrave settings.
- If your job has multiple nested parts, consider assigning the inner parts to a lower numbered colour from the screenshot below, so that these parts can be cut first before the outer lines.
###Print to Jobcontrol
- Printer name is “Trotec Speedy 300”
- Printing Preferences (optional)
- You can set your material here, but you should finalise your settings in Jobcontrol.
- Leave all other settings as per the above image
###Prepare job in Jobcontrol
- To see an actual preview of your job on the bed, click the WYSIWYG button (Ctrl + I)
- Set the speed/power settings for the material & line colours in the Material Templates window
- Note that in this example template, a blue line will result in a very quick cutting operation which will engrave the surface of the acrylic.
- Colours are lased from high to low
- You can also set certain colours to “Skip” which is useful if eg. you want to re-run an engraving job again to make a deeper mark, without also re-cutting the red lines in the job.
- When cutting paper or other lightweight materials, turn off Air Assist, otherwise the compressed air jet will throw your cut-outs all over the place.
Material presets are liable to change due to this being a multi-user machine. Creating your own folder of settings can be useful, but always check before cutting, and refer to the ttable of advised settings above. Be sure to enter the thickness of the material, as this will affect the focus.
###Before Power On
Make sure main extract is running. Switch is on the wall underneath the laser PC monitor, plug labelled “laser”.
Close laser cutter lid.
###Power on cutter
- Turn on the cutter with large red isolator switch above the cutter.
- Wait for bed to stop moving
- Lift and remove honeycomb bed by the frame
- Open front door and sweep out any debris
- Make sure bed is reseated correctly
- Make sure all vents are clear
- Make sure CO2 fire extinguisher is to hand
- Move the head to the centre of the machine and check the parts for cleanliness
- If the mirror or lens are dirty, clean as instructed
- Lay material on bed
- Move cutting head over material with the XY axes buttons
- Rest focus stick on edge of lens, raise bed by pressing Up on the Z axis buttons until focus stick just falls off
- Close lid
- Click the connect button to initialise the cutter (Ctrl+L)
- Check that your job will fit on your material. Use the machine’s buttons to move the head such that the crosshairs in Jobcontrol are at the corners of the job. The red laser dot is a non-cutting guide to where the head is located.
- Click the Run button (Ctrl+R)
- Always stay by the machine while lasing is in process
- Seriously, always watch the process. A fire can go from harmless to machine-destroying in a matter of seconds.
- Cutting some materials does result in flames immediately next to the active cut
- If a persistent fire starts:
- Lift the lid (this stops the laser, extractor and motion)
- The fire should go out
- If the fire is still burning, use the CO2 fire extinguisher to put it out (don’t hold the nozzle with your bare hands!)
- Turn the laser cutter off and report the incident
- Wait for all smoke/fumes to be extracted before opening lid
- Open lid
- Be sure to collect all pieces of your job
- Small pieces that fall through the honeycomb bed can be collected by removing the bed
- Replace the bed by aligning it in the slot
- Check the mirror and lens for dirt and clean if needed
- Close the lid
- Power down
- When printing with Illustrator, in the Options > Placement section, X and Y offsets might put your laserable area out of the picture - Trotec JobControl will say the “Job is empty”. Changing both offsets to 0 will fix.
Cheat sheet text
Laser Cutter Cheat Sheet You must complete an induction before using the laser cutter. Make sure the lens is clean before and after use, and clean it if necessary. Some materials can damage the laser cutter check the list on Discourse, URL below. Leave the area cleaner than you found it, wipe all surfaces, remove debris from cutting, put off cuts in the bin. Contact @lasertechs on Discourse if you are having any problems with the machine. Further information: https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/laser-cutter-trotec-speedy-300/14