Signs for space

Ok

We need to paint the clean room chairs, so 2.5L maybe?

1 Like

This is the old logo but we did this as a screen printed poster.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: SpaceX rockets & launches

I’d already tried putting in ‘Makerspace’, so here’s some doodles with it back. Remember the text, done like this, is effectively embossed within the arrow and won’t have a sharp edge given the paint.

Alternatively, I thought if we’re going to have text, then we should probably be doing a flat design with the vinyl cutter doing the graphics. If so, we should be going with the poster look. Something like that is on the right, with an A4 sheet stuck on too for any specific event info.

If we really want to embrace temporary text, then the bottom approach might work. ‘South London Makerspace’ in big, cut in text that can have an A3 sheet in front when needed.

Thoughts?

It could be cut the other way ,
The whole board painted red and the m and arrow laser cut painted white and stuck on

would be nice with white acrylic and lights? Just saying, not trying to slow the process down.

2 Likes

LIghts involve a battery system , water proofing and we have to rember to recharge them or swap the battery, Glow-in-the-dark paint perhaps?

This could work
https://hobarts.com/m/prod_detail.php?cPath=124_6&products_id=992

1 Like

If the letters protrude, they’re likely to get knocked off at some point. Plus it’s the same issue: paint. Laser cut acrylic letters would be sharp, but then the material thickness is also the letter (same colour sides as face), which reduces legibility.

Can you elaborate? What’s white, what kinds of lights? I’m increasingly thinking that the poster-like option might be best, and that is indeed a big white acrylic sheet stuck to a wooden frame. But no lights in that.

Innit. My take is that lights is over-complicating this, and perhaps asking for trouble given they’re going on the street. In my mind it just needs to be a bold graphic, solidly made thing that sits on the pavement. But lights are pretty obviously cool, so if a solid idea is there…

Yeah. I’ve looked at that stuff at Hobarts before, it’s certainly got potential. The advantage to the Good Companion approach is it produces a solid red form, with pleasing maker-y depth to the cut-out. The ‘etch off the red laminate’ material means a plate stuck to frame. Which could look good, but if we’re going with the red option not quite as cool to my mind.

…this all sounds a bit defensive, when it’s really a load of pros and cons that could be easier discussed around a table.

I think the broad decision is
A) Good companion-esque solid red sign with chunky cut-in graphic / text.
B) Smooth white finish with red and black vinyl graphic / text, allowing sharp, small detail.
C) A wildcard involving lights.

Ignore my comment, it was simply an idea - go ahead with the original vision.

Incase you were wondering I was actually thinking a simple version of Dermots sign for Canopy. Something like:

Maybe a project for lasercutter working group could encorporare with vinyl cutting.

My only suggestion would be

(600x 1100)

Trying to accomodate custom text feels like too much of a compromise

1 Like

Mark’s suggestion of attaching extra boards on top would work?

Ah! Gotcha. Back-lit white. Yes, would look good. If / when we make a sign for the outside of the actual space, this is totally what we should do.

Yes. I still like Miso or whatever that Architecture-esque font was, but was trying to stay with the new. As you note, the sign is a chunk taller doing it that way, which might tip into being too unstable? But perhaps that means it just has to be weighted down every time.

Dosis

Only issue is the hinge - The “reverse” side would be tilted backwards, or would clash with the other side.

Personally I think customisation is a complication too far. Anyone coming to one of our events will know it’s happpening in a makerspace. We’re not after passer-by traffic

I had thought about this. There might be something it in it. I think a board could be slid in the gap made by the hinge, and kept upright by a bit of engineering - mating with a cross piece used to bag it down, for instance.

It’s something that can and should come afterwards, if really wanted, anyway.

2 Likes

It’s hard to follow the thread.
Are we going black and white instead of red and white?
Do I stilll need to get paint?

We’ll find out: Joint project: new Makerspace signs from street

My suggestion, uses Makerspace’s aesthetic and logo.