SpaceX rockets & launches

Elon Musk wants to colonise Mars. To that end, he’s started a rocket company. It’s pretty cool.

There’s a launch this evening. A geostationary satellite that is about the heaviest and fastest mission the Falcon 9 can do. They’ll attempt a 1st stage landing on an ocean barge, but it’ll be running on fumes and they don’t hold out much hope of a landing.

Launch window opens at 23:25 UK time, with webcasts starting 10m prior, available in 2 flavours:

Hosted (with commentary for the layperson):

Technical (just the footage and control room loop)

2 Likes

Thank for letting us know! It was amazing.

But it is a shame that the video of the drone landing cut off!!! I really want to know what happened.

1 Like

A “hard” landing apparently.
Ie. It blew up :smiley:

Some of favourite reading this past year has been the comment threads of Ars Technica discussing Space X, and going to Mars vs. the moon. Such a fascinating mix of high ideas and hard engineering/physics. Pretty much had a tear in my eye when they stuck the Falcon landing a few months back.

1 Like

Next launch is another ISS supply mission which means they’ll be doing another land-landing. Currently scheduled for 1st April, the payload includes BEAM, which is a prototype inflatable module for the station and future deep space habitats.

Another night launch though, so limited footage of the return flight. Some day soon, there will be a daytime launch with clear skies that will allow for one continuous shot of launch, separation, boostback, re-entry and landing :sunglasses:

1 Like

This launch will be tonight, 21:43 UK time

Webcast here, usually about 15m before liftoff

1 Like

Are they expecting a soft landing this time?

They’re trying the barge again (not because they can’t reach land on this launch, but because they need to nail the sea landings in time for Falcon Heavy, whose centre core will always have to land at sea). At least it’ll be daytime so there will be good video.

Stunning

5 Likes

I missed the live cast and having not found a clip on space X Twitter etc., gave up, came here, and voila!

Better video: (including cheering happy rocket people)

This is one of those very very rare occasions where chanting of USA-USA-USA is acceptable :smiley:

2 Likes

They just did it again, but this time on a high-energy geosynchronous mission. Much faster re-entry, and far less fuel in reserve. Three engines lit instead of one for the landing, and a maximum deceleration of 12G.

Nailed it.

1 Like

Upcoming events:

• June 2016 - First launch with a re-used first stage (although it’ll probably be more like August)
  • November 2016 - Maiden flight of the Falcon Heavy.
  • Later 2016 - In-flight test of the abort system for the crew-rated Dragon 2
  • May 2017 - Demo flight of uncrewed Dragon 2 to the ISS.
  • Mid-2017 - First crewed flight of Dragon 2 to the ISS
  • Late 2017 - Delivery of a lander to the Moon for team SpaceIL competing for the Google Lunar X Prize.
  • Spring 2018 - Red Dragon (uncrewed) mission to Mars.
1 Like

Wow to the power of bloody hell!

If they meet all those deadlines, I’ll eat my hat :smiley:

There’s something about the relentless pressure that Elon Musk imposes on his ventures that is a little worrying to me.

He should probably learn to relax a bit more…

It’s not a pleasant place to work if you don’t share that passion. Long hours and wages topped up with stock options (that you can’t sell because the company is private).

But if you do have that drive to work 12 hour days on something you believe in, I imagine it’s the most rewarding job in the world.

I saw a survey where SpaceX and Tesla topped the ‘most meaniful work’ league table. But also came out as most streesful. Which Elon shrugged of as ‘goes with the territory’

Depends if you believe that people work best when under extreme pressure.

My guess is they work well because they’re extremely talented and have some fantastic goals.

The stress thing is a Silicon Valley culture/macho startup hangover?

This is all very good but the “for the benefit of all mankind” etc falls down a little (a lot) when you look at how the Americans regulate all of this stuff. Anything related to Aerospace they deem to be intimately tied in with their national security. So they post a lot of job vacancies on their website but due to the ITAR regulations you have to be a US citizen to apply…In my own researches I have had amateur rocket developers in the US refuse to even speak to me because they are worried about falling foul of the ITAR regulations.

Tom, I am guessing that you are a member of the arocket list?

Cheers,

Carl.

I lurk (and post a little) on the www.nasaspaceflight.com forums. If you can spare the money their “L2” member’s section is incredible.

ITAR is terrible legislation.

EDIT: It’s not an official nasa website, but there are loads of spaceflight professionals posting there and there’s very strict moderation to keep the signal:noise ratio high