Space Use Survey 2017 (Step 1 of 2)

During the members meeting we voted to run a space use survey similar to the one @pip organised 2 years ago, this would allow us to have some data about what members would like to see in the space.

So this process will be in two stages:

1. Collect a list of space uses.
  2. Ask members to score them.

Note: The results are informational only, no actions will be taken as an outcome of this survey.

Step 1: Space uses

This is your chance to make suggestions, the list will include all the current uses and those from the 2015 survey, but you may suggest any additional uses below, they will be moderated where there are two very similar uses.

Deadline: End of 29th August 2017

Current uses

• Textiles
  • Vinyl cutting
  • Large Format Printing
  • Electronics
  • 3D printing
  • Metal work
  • General assembly area
  • Casting (From Moulds)
  • Bicycle Maintenance
  • Screen printing
  • Laser cutting
  • Wood work (inc. Lathe)
  • Storage

Other uses from 2015 survey

• Dark Room
  • Ceramics
  • Plants & Growing Things
  • Vacuum Forming
1 Like

Welding bay (as distinct from general metal work)if we want it on there separately too.

And in an ideal, blue skies world, it would be amazing if we could work out some way of doing typepress in the space too.

1 Like

feel free to delete this post if it’s not relevant!

1. Should be this a wiki post?
  2. The “growing thing” activity should be in the current use section? We have a garden after all!
  3. The general assembly area has been taken over in my opinion, so should be that moved in the other uses section?
    Again, if it’s not the right place feel free to delete!

@Barnaby_Coote was using the general assembly area recently? How was that Barnaby?

Can you make this a wiki so we don’t have a long thread to go through?

Have wikified afaik

I didn’t want it wiki because there is no reason to change whether something is in one category or not as they’re all going to be in an Unsorted list.

I just want people to put two word suggestions for areas like wedding bay or CNC

1 Like

Any thing goes on the list. It’s not saying it will ever happen but there’s no reason not to have it unless it’s like saying joinery and wood working which are near enough the same thing.

Step one in inspiring the next generation of makers: wedding bay, complete with chaplains and registrar?

I’ll take that one as a joke?

1 Like

You wrote it! Personally I am looking for a wedding venue at the moment so that one gets my vote…

1 Like

Welding +1
Forge?
Big CNC router
CNC lathe

Paint booth (although possibly this is something which can be figured into the current set up and may not need its own consideration)

Hand tool woodworking - this is not quite the same as ‘woodworking’ as you want benches set up a bit differently and would probably want some finer tools saved just for this work.

1 Like

Agree on all of these - especially a cnc lathe with live tooling…

Also - one current use not on the list is food prep/cooking - would also be keen to do more interesting food stuff e.g with vacuum or sous vide…

Sure, I mean if someone wants to properly subdivide wood working into distinct areas that’s fine but I don’t know enough about it.

Small scale brazing / soldering

Small volume metal casting (jewelry, etc) (do we have this already??)

Metal plating / annodising / coating

1 Like

space for anodising/etching (including pcb’s)
forge, forging hammer, forging press.
8x4 cnc
desktop cnc
cnc milling machine
Spray booth
sandblaster

Surely if the task is to think big you really DO! wow, forging hammer… Hahahahha
Thumbs up for the sandblaster tho!

1 Like

Sheet metal working area, with things like a guillotine, sheetmetal bend/break.

1 Like