Snug Empty Part 2 - Volunteers needed

I can do Sunday and Thursday evening

Maybe Thursday is not the best day if there is an induction on the CNC as we need to move stuff exactly through that area.

Unless we finish before 7pm

I think Tuesday would work as well. I will put something in the calendar from 6pm and people can just turn up when they feel like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t make Tuesday sorry

1 Like

Tuesday is good for me, see you then

1 Like

I can be in the space Tuesday Eve, but it was supposed to be the electronic 101 basic iI-forgot-the-name of the-post-on-discourse night @emuboy, right?
Is not… Snug for me too

Federico

Here… found it:

Is this happening?

Federico

Hi, I will be in tonight for the electronics intro - I’m happy to help out after that

I’m at the space now. @Julia should I start emptying the snug shelves into the old woodshop?

Yea go for it! Julia messaged me and she can’t make it anymore unfortunately, but ill be there in 5!

1 Like

The snug is cleared now.
Thanks @asander1 and (sorry didn’t catch your discourse name, please tag yourself, much appreciated!)

3 Likes

@james-c did the majority of the work!!

2 Likes

@lewisss the snug is now empty apart from the white shelves that seem to somewhat hold up the outer wall (not sure about that) and the COOSH cabinet which needs to be emptied with care as there are al lot of very toxic items in there.

1 Like

Happy to volunteer taking care of the chemicals in the CoSHH cabinet.

May I propose making an inventory of all stuff CoSHH and maybe temporarily store the CoSHH cabinet with the contents in the old woodshop until we found a proper new home for it?

Having briefly glanced into it, there is a lot of usable stuff in there, mostly varnishes or solvents, several peroxides, some isoprop and some bits for PCB etching. Some things even labelled by their owners! Yay!

I saw a few itmes that should be handeld with a bit of care, i.e. under no circumstances to be poured down the sink.

3 Likes

Those white shelves are one of our earliest donations, since before we got the arch. I remember screwing them to the snug wall to keep them upright, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the roles are reversed by now! They’re nice and sturdy so worth keeping.

1 Like

Yea will keep those for sure!

1 Like

The two cabinets with chemicals are now residing in the old wood shop, underneath the light switches.

Pretty much everything is still there - if you’re missing something, it is most likely just in the other cabinet.

• To the person who uses the Dichloromethane: Be sensible and use nitrile gloves in a properly ventilated space. Try avoiding skin contact.
  • To the person who uses the Japanese tape head cleaner: Cool stuff! Please use it responsibly - I’m sure you know what I’m talking about… :crazy_face:

Unfortunately, we had to dispose of several bags of Sodium persulfate for safety reasons, sorry! There is still enough left to make at least 10 litres of etching agent - which should be enough to produce several hundred PCBs… so no need to worry. I just thought it was in the interest of the community of not burning the Makerspace down. (It was not properly stored and the plastic bags became brittle and it is not safe to have it just loose in a cardboard box, see picture below.

The last time I etched PCBs was around 2001, but from what I discoverd today, everything looks still in working order and ready to go. Please, please just do the responsible thing of NOT pouring the etching solution down the sink, unless you raised the pH to 8.0 or above - if you etch PCBs, you should know that anyway.

Further reading:

3 Likes

Amazing work, thanks Mark!!!

This was a lot of work!

1 Like

Thanks Andy, I forgot to mention @Julia, who helped me a lot with this - especially with the crowbar! :smiley:

2 Likes

Well done everyone!

1 Like