Signs for space

Kind of goes to show that I offered to make signs and get this done weeks ago, could have easily achieved it but people start weighing in with opinions and advice and not letting things actually get done.

Kind of frustrating…

2 Likes

Thank you for your enthusiasm to help out around the space!

I can see you are frustrated by the process, however with respect this is fundamental to how Makerspace makes decisions, inclusion of all members.

Consulting the members about things that affect the space materially or otherwise can be a very quick process when everyone agrees, or doesn’t care, or can end up with long conversations that might even end up back at the beginning. The fact that so many people have discussed this show’s that people care about the image we project, they care about this matter.

Importantly by going through this process everyone is involved in the space, and we avoid cliques of doer/decision-makers. As Toby rightly put at the members meeting this week, we’re moving from a startup phase to a running and long term phase, so decisions need to be made collectively going forward not by who ever is in the space at the time.

It isn’t the most efficient way of doing things, but Makerspace isn’t the most efficient way to run a workshop. Makerspace is setup to work best for a community of like-minded individuals each with their own creative interests that conflict. If this was a normal company the CEO would just say make them this way, but that’s not us.

At the end of the day it’s just one of many projects we’re all working on, so if allowing people time to have their input means putting a project on the back burner for a bit then so much the better.

I can see you are frustrated, Makerspace is important to us all, but if Makerspace has taught me anything then it’s that if it’s bothering you then you need to let go a bit. Nothing in the space, barring safety is so fundamentally important that it has to be done right now, by one person.

2 Likes

Thanks for the long winded reply. I had the majority of the details for the design etc and would have had it all sorted as I said.

It is what it is at the end of the day, no skin off my nose I just said it because it would have been sorted without all this extra mumbo-jumbo.

It’s fantastic that you’ve got a ideas for the design, but other people might also have ideas, how do they get a say if not through a conversation?

That extra mumbo-jumbo you’ve just discounted was people having that conversation.

That long winded reply was asking you to look at the situation and see this as process that is integral to ensuring members get a say in how their space is run.

I’m sorry you feel it was a waste of time, but other people appreciate having involvement, especially in the important stuff like how we communicate ourselves to the outside world.

I hope you understand why this is important to others if not yourself.

All the best.

I was going to be following designs put in place by others, I was essentially just going to be the person doing it.

I think that’s what your missing.

All the best to yourself also.

1 Like

I still like your idea of the lit up sign.

1 Like

There are occasions though when longer serving members step in and take control over situations where actually they should be more encouraging, less controlling and enable others get on with them.

3 Likes

Sure and I think a hybrid needs to be found between those with a lot vested in a space they’ve been around and those who want to get stuck in.

Worth nothing this to the governance working group but the original design was by a long standing member I believe.

1 Like

This is a little disingenuous. If you look back to the top of the thread, you bailed the moment it became a joint effort. But whatever, me bringing this up is really just me being petty.

The point is that the best Makerspace things have come when people collaborated on the design. Makerspace has a strong brand, and yes, there are people who fight for that to be kept up.

Also, nobody is more conscious of my lack of time to pitch in than me. It’s certainly awkward.

You’re being harsh and dysrepectful.
That’s not called for.

Chaps, let’s try and get this back on track. Clearly some upset has been caused in several directions and that isn’t constructive to the work in hand.

Maybe a positive step forward would be to branch out into a new thread (closing this one!) and have a constructive discussion about design and requirements, rather than ‘I’ve been here the longest, or I’ve had the bestest idea first!’ Which doesn’t help anyone.

1 Like

From the post the spec seems to be:

• two signs (both two sided seems clever)
  • correct logo
  • correct arrows
  • correct paint.
  • foldable
  • able to weigh it down or some clever wind proof design.

All of the specifics are in the thread I think.

Copying canopies sign seems mute if they’re buying new ones.

If they’re both double sided (luckily the arrows are same on both) then they’ll be no confusion over which one goes where, which happened occasionally.

2 Likes

Indeed. And apologies for my post; writing “this is me being petty” should have been the red flag. I was riled by the “longer serving members take control” direction. To my mind, that wasn’t what happened by me listing the things the sign needs to get right. I was also a bit riled by the dismissive attitude to Tom’s post, which yes was long winded but did clearly and respectfully make the point.

Exactly. Technically, it means the two faces of the signs are made to point in opposite directions, but once assembled it’s just a fixed sign and you spin it around to face the direction needed.

1 Like

or mount the arrows on a pivot so they can be turned independent of the sign

They don’t need turning.
They always point the same direction.
Both signs are the same

Might be worth it though, just for the flexibility :slight_smile: not sure when one might need said flexibility, but seems an easy enough feature to include.

1 Like

Ooh, the arrow could be on a servo connected to an Arduino…

1 Like

No no no! You’re all missing the beautiful simplicity: there’s no need for movable arrows, you just spin the whole sign round to turn from a left-to-a-right point.

Solid state is more reliable, innit.

1 Like

This is exactly how the sign was before, I don’t get if we’re misunderstanding their idea, or they are misunderstanding ours?

I just want an Arduino in it.

1 Like