Prusa I3 on a budget

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4a0f82e00> #<Tag:0x00007fa4a0f81b40> #<Tag:0x00007fa4a0f80470>

Best for you to get started on stripping electrical wire to make the power socket connection as described above.

I’ll come along and finish crimping the stepper motors, then I can help with the power supplies.

1 Like

Hey - are the BIQU Mega2560 Control Boards in the space already? And if so - can I borrow mine/take it home? I have got a mega at home but have killed one rail of pins and a second would be so useful - have some spare clones coming later in the week but need to crack on and am keen to avoid buying one from RS if I can reuse mine. Cheers

Also - where are the wires etc hidden? I’m at a bit of loose end and thinking about popping over shortly.

Yes feel free to use your electronic for an other project. I was thinking of pre-flashing the electronic not until next week or the week after

Wires are on the electronic bench so you need to follow @electrotechs rules of consumption. Most wires used until now where my personal one. But which wires are you referring?

1 Like

Meant the wires for the printers - didn’t mean for my own use I meant for cracking on with crimping and that - i.e where is everything/power sockets/etc etc?

-> “Power socket
– Cut the wires and crimp the spade connectors
— ideally 1 blue,red,yellow of 150mm (spade connector on 1 side only), 1 red 60mm and 1 red 80mm (spade connectors on both side)
– Fit the power socket in the in the printed parts (this should just clip)
– cut the wires that’ll power the printer
— 2x 450mm of the black and red wire from electronic bench
– Connect wires and the power socket to the PSU and test output voltage
– hopefully I can bring all the screws we need to get the PSU assembled and ready.”

Also - are you still needing more wire? I have half a drum of https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/multicore-industrial-cable/6607067/?sra=pstk and can bring it - only does a couple of amps/strand but that might be enough?

As mentioned before those wires need to be scavenges and striped from leftover 220V cable. I might have piece left at home but I can only do 2 socket max I think not even sure

yep those will work great :slight_smile:

Grand will bring it, nice rainbow of colours. Will have a look under the bed and see what else I’ve go.

we need around 25cm per socket * 5 there is example picture in one of the post above

so 1.5m in total?

1 Like

One final question (promise!) - where are the mega’s kept so I can find mine?

Cheers

On the shelf above the printer there is a cardboard containing all the electronic and all the other parts. Take one accordingly

1 Like

Great - have taken my mega and left all the other parts that were with it in box. Will start on wires now.

1 Like

On my way

Any idea where the crimps (spade connectors) are? Have cut all the wire to length except the red/black pair as not sure which wire you mean for this.

Afraid a back injury means i won’t be there. Apologies.

Massive turn out yesterday, glad to see many of you some for the first time and other familiar face (in no specific order): @Esther_Gladstone, @Calum_Nicoll, @dsikar, @mikekelly, @Dermot
Hopefully I didn’t forget any of you or I apologies profusely. 3 more tuesday and we should have everything ready for the Saturday 20th or Sunday 21st depending on progress. So we’ll see next week how far down the list we get and open a poll to see which day in October suit best everyone.

We have done really well so far and great work by everyone.

• The stepper motors extension are all soldered and x,y and z motors have been crimped the extruder motor will be crimped once we finalize the extruder assembly to make sure we trim the cable to their appropriate length
  • All the Alu frames have been filled and numbered so please don’t mess with the stack on the shelves, I’ll bring the ply frame for @Calum_Nicoll next week
  • The PSU wiring didn’t go as smooth one because of poor instruction about how to do the crimp from my part (sorry) at least we learned a valuable lesson and now know how to properly crimp spade connector. The other things that had us pull our hair for a long while was the connection who seems to be right except that switch was always lit. So after a lot of debugging (thx it was a tuesday and canopy was closed) we worked it out. The switch had been assembled the other way around from the reference picture I had. Unfortuntely by than it was too late to go over all the PSU and fixed it so we’ll follow up next week.

Next week a lot of things lined up to do and hopefully I’ll improve the distribution of tasks

• MK2 Heatbed soldering
  • Endstop wiring and crimping
  • Assembling the electronic (if we received the screws)
  • Flashing firmware onto the electronic
  • assembling the hotend
  • assembling the extruder
  • Extruder fan wiring extension

Looking forward to see you in the mean time have a great day and awesome week :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi All,

Let me know if you might be able to join tomorrow prep session for me to do a bit of planning

Many thanks