This is a project I’ve designed and put in place a schedule to get it to completion hopefully in an acceptable amount of time for the people willing to join. I’m on holiday from the 18/06 to the 27/06 so group session/workshop are likely to start on my return. Until than we have a lot of prepping to do, purchasing, 3d printing more details TBD
This post is a Work in Progress I will try to keep as close to what is written or define here but this might change. Primarily this post will used as reference /documentation for the project. Please create a new post if you wishes to go on discussing related point but don’t hijack/rail road this thread many thanks.
It started with a pretty innocent conversation about refurbishing a 3D printer and the challenge to build the cheapest Prusa I3 printer initiative came up. After a bit of probing around a few of you seems interested
- Must have an heated bed
- This allow you to print a wider range of material
- Must be able to print flexible filament or other exotic filament
- Ideally must have a reliable auto bed leveling probe.
- Optional run on octopi but for me it’s mandatory requirement and we got a box full of RPI in the space if they can be use for that project so great otherwise I got a few spare.
So I embarked into defining the BOM (Bill of materials) and the goal I set myself was simple it must be under £150 or you might be off buying a cheap kit of ebay. I think I’m getting really close to my target budget a few things to
Prusa I3 (Standard 200x200x200 build volume)
Laser cut 6mm ply or acrylic
If you want to take the cheap but nicest clone in mind I’ll recommend upgrading the electronic to a
- clone mini rambo
- clone mk42 heatbed
- clone pinda probe
But this almost double the price. I’ll provide link to those item when I will have added them to the spreadsheet.
The building steps
- Who is interested subscription thread
- Ordering parts based on final BOM
- Cutting the frame.
- 3D printing all the parts for the printer either using the Ultimaker in the space I will get build plate gcode ready and inform member participating to the project build where they are and
- More as we go along be patient please and many thanks in advance