3D printing with a prusa

Which one did you get Jim?

I got the Creality Ender 3. I like it so far, the only real issues I’ve experienced were the z-axis motor being a bit out of alignment with where the lead screw goes through x-gantry(I think that’s what it’s called) and the heated bed is a bit warped. I shimmed the z-axis motor with some cardboard until I could print a proper bracket and got a piece of glass cut for £3 and clipped it onto the bed, so there were cheap solutions for both. Still playing with settings to get the quality dialled in but have had a few prints that I’m happy with.

If we assemble properly and don’t bash the printer around after calibration it will produce accurate print. When it come to reliability my custom build

has been printing for hundred of hours and I only need small bed calibration once every 6 month and you always need to keep an eye on extrusion rate or flow this is maybe me but it vary from any filament you load in. Mainly it all depend on how precise you assemble and calibrate it. After that it’s up to human error and knowledge to pinpoint failure often help.

PLA is biodegradable actually a more precise description is compostable, PETG is widely recyclable but ABS is not and I’m not 100% sure about Nylon and polycarbonate.

Printer looks great!

Most of the marketing around this is greenwashing. The compostability of PLA is dependant on it making it into an industrial compost facility which it probably isn’t unless you are explicitly taking it to one or paying for it to be taken to one. PLA and PETG are both in theory recyclable but face the same issue of not really having anywhere to take them. If you are putting them in your recycling bin they are likely being filtered out and ending up at the incinerator or landfill. There might be some specialty places that will take it and recycle it, definitely something I should look into.

1 Like

Would be interesting to see what quantum waste make of PLA. Composting is theoretically their reason d’etre

1 Like

At a permaculture convergence a few years back, I heard about a fungus which can turn any biodegradable/compostable material into compost in 2 weeks.

I’m almost certain someone will argue but my Anet A8 seems pretty good. I’ve just made a shelf for it, so soon I’ll be testing one of my current 3D models to compare speed and quality with the SLMS Ultimaker.

1 Like

I’m aiming to make a start on the “Cheap Prusa” shopping list. Anyone interested in group buys?

to be able to evaluate the cheapest option we need to make a list of how many are interested I agree

If you give me a bit of time I will refine the BOM this weekend in regard to all the screws and exact length or threaded rods and smooth rod. I almost got the post ready.

First we need to see if there is enough 6mm PLY in makerspace for cutting the frame
frame-6mm.dxf (558.9 KB)

frame-6mm.pdf (232.5 KB)

The price for the threaded rod and screws were taken from this site https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/ so far it’s the cheapest source I’ve found but the delivery is £7 + This is really where we should put our focus into first.

The challenging part are the smooth rod normally hardened chrome 8mm are used with LM8UU Linear Ball Bearing but I’ve been testing copper bushing and they work great on softer rod I’ve asked previously if someone could pickup some for me from a shop in hatfield
https://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/stainless-steel/round-bar/diameter/8-mm

next would be stepper motor

Most other items are delivery free

1 Like

@Esther_Gladstone and I would also be interested in joining in if this has legs :slight_smile:

I’m interested.

Toolstation has stainless threaded rod.

Ebay has almost anything

Is the prusa i3 considered better than anet a8?
It actually looks very similar

the anet a8, as far as I know is a clone of the prusa i3 - Quality may vary in how accurate a clone it is.

Yep, I’m in!

maybe if enough of us are onboard, we could ger onboard with @RichM and use his metal cutting contacts to do this in something steely and sexy?

I can get anything cut on a water jet or laser anytime it’s needed… keep me posted…

1 Like

How much is suitable sheet metal? As the offer from @Jonathan seems too good to pass up

presumably 6mm alu. would be ideal, but depends whether welds are needed. @laurent_muchacho?

I understand the motivation and all my PrusaI3 have alu frame however this project cost estimate is made in mind to use 6mm ply cut on the laser from the space on a do it ourself basis the frame once assembled and with a coat of paint to seal it offer a good platform to complete the cheap Prusa in a reasonable amount of time.
If some of you want to go for the alu options go for it but bear in mind that it will be outside of the scope of that cost estimate

Based on the current blueprint only M3 20mm socket screw and nuts are required.

This thread is getting off topic from the initial discussion so please be patient the project post will be submitted in the next few hours

To anyone interested in the build I’ve created a project post and the associated call for subscription

Do you have this as a dxf?

dxf version attached to the original post

Information also available in here https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/prusa-i3-frame-discussions/10566/3