Prusa I3 on a budget

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49aa809f8> #<Tag:0x00007fa49aa802a0> #<Tag:0x00007fa49aa9bd98>

I want to drop by the house and pickup a few things so the best I can do is be there by 7H.

I will come along, I have a few crimping bits and pieces which I can bring too.

On way now

Sorry not going to make it in tonight, feeling pretty under the weather. But if you leave stuff to do can do it next time I’m in (especially metal/messy stuff).

Cheers

Prusa I3 on a budget critical mass - @Dermot and @dsikar filing and drilling

@laurent_muchacho and @mikekelly crimping

@Calum_Nicoll if you fancy there is one alu frame (in cardboard box on top of filed and drilled plates) left to file. Finns slot into frame such that drilled finn is on right hand when frame is standing and looking from finns’ side.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Group build vs kit prusa i3

Prep Session 25/09/2018:

Hi All (@dsikar, @dermot, @Esther_Gladstone, @peter_hellyer, @mikekelly, @Calum_Nicoll, @Vagwin, @david) it will be awesome to meet more of you this tuesday evening.

This week we’ll continue the prep session and the items on the list are:

• Continue crimping the Dupont connectors on the Nema motor (bring your crimping tools if you have one)
  • Finish filing the last ALU frame
  • Power socket
    – Cut the wires and crimp the spade connectors
    — ideally 1 blue,red,yellow of 150mm (spade connector on 1 side only), 1 red 60mm and 1 red 80mm (spade connectors on both side)
    – Fit the power socket in the in the printed parts (this should just clip)
    – cut the wires that’ll power the printer
    — 2x 450mm of the black and red wire from electronic bench
    – Connect wires and the power socket to the PSU and test output voltage
    – hopefully I can bring all the screws we need to get the PSU assembled and ready.

I think based on attendance doing all this should be realistic.

Anyone is welcome even if you are not doing the build and just want to acquire the awesome super power of crimping :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey gang - what time do we usually start/finish? Hoping to come down tonight but not sure what time I’ll be able to make it as waiting in for delivery for a client and need to do some work when it arrives. Cheers

1 Like

Hi Calum,

We usually start around 19H30 and stay until 22H or a bit later depending on obligation. I’ll have to do nursery pickup and grab a few things home so I won’t be there before 19H30 tonight.

Looking forward to see you and all other who want to Join.

I think @Esther_Gladstone said she would try to come down for a bit, and I’ll attempt to be there later too, but have work commitments until late today!

1 Like

I’ll be there tonight.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll prob arrive early as can’t stay late. Happy to start on anything I can.

1 Like

Best for you to get started on stripping electrical wire to make the power socket connection as described above.

I’ll come along and finish crimping the stepper motors, then I can help with the power supplies.

1 Like

Hey - are the BIQU Mega2560 Control Boards in the space already? And if so - can I borrow mine/take it home? I have got a mega at home but have killed one rail of pins and a second would be so useful - have some spare clones coming later in the week but need to crack on and am keen to avoid buying one from RS if I can reuse mine. Cheers

Also - where are the wires etc hidden? I’m at a bit of loose end and thinking about popping over shortly.

Yes feel free to use your electronic for an other project. I was thinking of pre-flashing the electronic not until next week or the week after

Wires are on the electronic bench so you need to follow @electrotechs rules of consumption. Most wires used until now where my personal one. But which wires are you referring?

1 Like

Meant the wires for the printers - didn’t mean for my own use I meant for cracking on with crimping and that - i.e where is everything/power sockets/etc etc?

-> “Power socket
– Cut the wires and crimp the spade connectors
— ideally 1 blue,red,yellow of 150mm (spade connector on 1 side only), 1 red 60mm and 1 red 80mm (spade connectors on both side)
– Fit the power socket in the in the printed parts (this should just clip)
– cut the wires that’ll power the printer
— 2x 450mm of the black and red wire from electronic bench
– Connect wires and the power socket to the PSU and test output voltage
– hopefully I can bring all the screws we need to get the PSU assembled and ready.”

Also - are you still needing more wire? I have half a drum of https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/multicore-industrial-cable/6607067/?sra=pstk and can bring it - only does a couple of amps/strand but that might be enough?

As mentioned before those wires need to be scavenges and striped from leftover 220V cable. I might have piece left at home but I can only do 2 socket max I think not even sure