Group build vs kit prusa i3

This is my 3D printer

How does this build differ from mine - ie what improvements might you suggest?

I also have this same one - a compare and contrast with the build was always a consideration of mine :slight_smile:

So how both of this machine compare?

On the surface:

• Extruder and hotend is decoupled on the group build allowing more granular control and upgrade compared to the Geetech extruder and hotend.
  • Aluminium Heatbed options of 250x220 or 220x220 depending on budget (geetech use mk2 pcb prone to flexing result in creating banding artifact on print)
  • Threaded rod or lead screw options (geetech use M8 threaded rod)
  • Auto bed leveling
  • Alu frame if you picked it up
  • All the customized 3D printed part making sure no electronic or wire are exposed and cable management is optimized

Under the hood:

• We will be using a simple but proven Arduino and Ramp shield
  • We will be running the latest Marlin configuration

What I will upgrade on a geetech

Optional: Once you’ve done those upgrade I know almost £200, you can flash the original Mk2s firmware NOTE: you’ll need to adjust the current and maybe some offset in the parameters.

If want to do only one upgrade from this list do the heatbed but consider strongly extruder & hotend if you are the budget you could go for a clone version but the original is worth every penny

“Extra note:”
I think it’s important to dig into the difference between buying and making, without putting aside the makerspace philosophy and the Moto : I’ve built mine, you bought yours. who bring a certain sense of pride in what we do. But don’t get me wrong I’m not saying buying a printer is bad choice

Some of the goal of the Group build was to create a project where collaboration happen between members, putting in place a structure where mini project (laser cutting/3d printing etc…) would be accomplished within the mean of the space capability.
Finally a community approach remove fear from member who might be uncomfortable to take on the initiative on their own.

So in conclusion buying a geetech would have been cheaper and faster but in essence member will learn about how to make their geetech work, learning about the hooks and cranny of a geetech printer always bringing them back to buying the geetech part that will fix their problem and I believe that the group build embrace the open source philosophy and mentality where we outsourced every part to build something from a blue print.

More info and details on building a workhorse 3d printer from scratch can be found here. However I don’t agree with all the point and based on budget we had to make decision that go against what is listed in here.

2 Likes

Sorry for the bump but, that heatbed on the right, this is NOT an aluminum heatbed. It is a double sided pcb heatbed.

Dont believe me? Here’s the link:

Because all alu heatbed i’ve seen are single sided, they still all have the same issue, even if they bend less than pcb beds, they will bed with more force leading to glass warping and possibly even cracking. Why do you think Prusa is using spring steel magnetically stuck to a heatbed with magnet along with a probe? Think you can buy an mk52 clone and fix those issues? Think again: