Proposal: Membership System 2.1

Few updates:

• Moved the discourse updating script into another separate service that runs independently so that it can’t crash the membership system UI.

• Also a major improvement to how permissions are displayed:

You can hover the date for the exact time.

2 Likes

Update:

I’ve added a few things I’ve been working on for a while and a couple new bits…

• Fixed a bug in the display of event times from previous months.

• Added the heatmap for members, and the catchment map for directors.

• Added Activities feature which will eventually allow devices in the space to report activities, like the door opening and closing, in addition to the door being unlocked as it currently does.
    This is the basis of being able to infer the status of the space being open, etc…

4 Likes

Just for the benefit of claiming some credit…

Changes

• Lots of bug fixes
  • Switched template engines
  • Added a proper memory store
  • Lots of tidying up
  • Removes all discourse updating to a separate service to avoid crashing
  • New service for clearing out invalid GoCardless data which would prevent users from signing up again after a failed direct debit.
  • Removed various broken URLs
  • Split the admin menu into Admin and Settings.
  • Reinstated the lost, lost password button.
  • Adds the API for the Dashboard
  • Improves the API for logging activities like door opening

Improvements to pages for admins

Member pages now link to their admin member editing and permissions pages. This fixes a problem when Admins clicked on the event log that they’d be taken to a page where they cannot edit the user.

Similarly tidied up the admin member page buttons…

Support for multiple API keys

This means multiple people can use the API without risking having to change all the keys if one gets published to GitHub by accident, this has happened.

Event log improvements

Adds support for logging unknown tags, and failed attempts to access a resource. Also colour codes, i’ve started looking at ways to filter this data.

Additionally a new event called unknown-tag can be used to log unknown tag numbers that can then be linked at the click of a button to a new user, or used to replace an existing users tag if it was broken, saves copying and pasting mistakes.

These new features should fulfil the desire Pete and others have mentioned to remove the excess logging of events into the babble box at the top of Discourse.

7 Likes

Many more fixes and adjustments, mostly as a result of the template change…

Also improved the formatting of forms by using proper bootstrap code, forms look nicer:

Added a fancy new report for counting days in a month that members successfully open the door, also available per-year.

And filtering for events:

And also some tweaks to the access counter report

Made substancial layout changes to the profile app which is the login landing page.

The main page is now called welcome, and shows interesting facts about your membership.

The key areas are now in a side navigation rather than hidden in menus, this should hopefully encourage members to complete their profiles and help find what they are looking for.

Now shows you how many days you’ve visited :smiley:

Only other major change is the edit profile screen which has the details about your avatar in, so as to avoid cluttering the side menu with external links.

Major benefit is that areas like statement and permissions are far more visible to members now than before.

Idea for 2.3:

Introduction of a new equipment model which shows the status of equipment derived from an API interface with future tool control systems.

equipment is connected to a permission so users can see who is able to access the utility alongside details about the piece of equipment.

equipment can have scheduling enabled which would allow users to book non-overlapping time ranges by quarter hour.

API changes to enable tool control devices to report status, and check bookings/permissions.

hi tom

hope you don’t mind you asking here about the membership system

i am part of diyspace for london (a venue/social centre) who have 6k+ members (and currently paying a small fortune to MemberMojo to administer membership

do you think your system could work for this many members - and does it have to be integrated with Discourse? - we use Loomio currently (and very few members actually want to sign up to it as they are not actively involved in the space).

cheers,
ben

Ben - separate to that, I’d love to hear about your experiences with Loomio.

hi toby

no problem
probably easier face to face
when are you next at the space?

When? Good question. Probability for the Governance meeting, which is in the process of being scheduled. Sounds like you might have some relevant experience there, too.

Hey Ben,

I’m super busy with freelance work at the moment however we could meet at lunch time one day next week at my work, or after 31st October and have a chat.

In theory you can use the software, do you have a coder sort that might be able to maintain the system?

Tom

thanks Tom

we may be able to find one…

but is this system integrally linked to Discourse (or could it in theory be run stand-alone)?

cheers, ben

worth a look at https://loomio.coop/ if you haven’t (lots about working collectively)

i posted in the go go go thread - so i will keep an eye out for the meeting date

Loomio – ah, know the marketing materials, hadn’t seen that. interesting. but main thing is i’d like to hear about real-world take-up, and whether it has fit alongside other tools.

It’s standalone. Discourse integration is entirely optional

1 Like

I picked up the work that @naxxfish had started some time ago working on a way to display the status of tools to members.

This screen is fully functional now, it would allow any future tool control to send the status of an item such that we can display it.

Also more importantly it would allow us to remove the controversial space log from discourse and create a simple icon which shows if the shutter is open or closed without information about who was there.

EDIT: Now moving onto looking at inductions.

3 Likes

I got an Amazon Echo for Christmas and I noticed there was a Skill (plugin) on the list by a maker space up north that told you if the door was open just by asking Alexa :slight_smile: Can someone write an API for Alexa too? haha jk

errr, nevermind

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/ask-overviews/requirements-to-build-a-skill.html