PROPOSAL: Cordless Hoover for clean room

Cost: £300

But for what? And from where?

Where:

AMAZON

CURRYS

What for: @SarahJ’s original post.

we need to get more industrial equipment, this is a household product.

2 Likes

The floor will still need to be hoovered.

This is to quickly grab and deal with a small spillage, not vacuum the whole floor - for which I agree a mains powered industrial solutions is required.

Problem: the clean room floor is so dirty that it’s an unpleasant place to spend time in and it’s embarrassing to show people around. It doesn’t need to be in this state.

Proposed solution: we buy a lightweight vacuum cleaner that lives in the clean room and is only used in the clean room. Having it visible, always stored in the same place, quick and easy to use will encourage people to use it spontaneously when they have a few minutes to spare.

Confession: I have never hoovered the floor at Makerspace. I’ve swept it, scrubbed it and done lots of other cleaning but I don’t want to go hunting for the hoover, I don’t want to drag it from room to room, its too big, too heavy, too bulky, I don’t trust it not to be broken in some random confusing way and I just can’t deal with it. Judging by the state of the floor last time I hosted an open evening, I am not alone in this.

Proposal: we buy this vacuum cleaner for the clean room https://www.clickcleaning.co.uk/products/sebo-dart-1-3511?ListingLink=%2Fcategories%2Fupright-vacuum-cleaners

Cost: £237.60

It has most of the advantages of the Dyson but is an industrial unit. It also has an optional additional polishing head which we could buy later on after replacing the floor with something smooth. Yes it’s expensive. But we’ve spent plenty of money on massive machines which nobody has even used, and this is a machine that would improve the space we have and help make it as great as it should be.

2 Likes

Agree, one qualification is I thought a key requirement was to be cordless to allow spontaneous use?

That’s what I thought at first but I couldn’t find an industrial cordless one (apart for the big weird backpack ones) so this seemed like a good compromise. Cordless isn’t critical but lightweight, visible and easy to grab is.

This is the polishing attachment. It allows you to hoover and polish smooth floors all in one go.

https://www.clickcleaning.co.uk/products/sebo_dart_uhs_polisher_head-3531

It would basically make Bentley the mop redundant. Which might sound a bit mean, but would make cleaning infinitely easier and more efficient.

1 Like

If we’re back now considering corded upright vacuum cleaners would the one that @afshind offered be any good?

Afraid that hoover has bolted out of the storage cupboard…it’s living happily in a house in Surrey.

I do have access to a couple of other homeless hoovers, not uprights, other style, both are bagless I think, but they are missing hoses… available only for few pounds online.

I think the idea of having something cordless for the clean room is worth hanging onto. Having something sitting in a charger bolted to the wall, that’s in your sightline and you can just reach out and go, seems to me what will actually get it used. Or in the context of needing to vacuum the whole floor, then finding the industrial one from the next room seems trivial.

But most of all, let’s buy something, 'cos it’s filthy =]

3 Likes

So it appears, after extensive research, that this might not be a goer. Good cordless vacuum cleaners are expensive - £250 upwards, and cheap ones are rubbish. I think we might be better off concentrating the budget on one really good vacuum cleaner for the whole space and see if that improves our dirt problem enough. I’m going to start a new thread about the spec for that.

2 Likes

Would getting the floor done mean that we might not need a vacuum cleaner, but instead another one of those big dust mops and then just a mop and bucket?

I think we’ll always need a vacuum cleaner. Dust mops just stir everything up and can’t do corners and behind things.

I think we ought to stick with the cordless for the clean room and keep it “clean room only”

I am looking to adapt what we have in the wood workshop to give us hand power tool extraction

Don’t you mean black and decker?

:slight_smile:

I have no strong feelings about vacuum cleaners, but was in Currys Brixton earlier… and being a discount magpie, I noticed this:

Well, if it’s sitting in a charging cradle, then it’s the certainly the right form factor.