PROPOSAL: Cordless Hoover for clean room

I think we definitely need a serious industrial one for the back two rooms. But the clean room isn’t a building site any more and doesn’t have any industrial stuff going on in it. It’s true our previous domestic hoovers got destroyed but I’m sure that’s because we were trying to clean what was a building site with them. The floor in the clean room is only grubby now because there isn’t a quick and easy way to clean it. I don’t see how doing that would destroy a normal hoover.

The handheld dyson capacity is small but it’s very easy to empty. And the filters don’t need replacing, they just need to be rinsed under the tap.

I’ve looked to see if there is a more industrial cordless one but can’t see one. And I think anything bigger & heavier that needs plugging in just won’t get used as much so won’t solve the dirt problem.

1 Like

I think there’s definite benefit in going cordless - will encourage on-the-go impromptu hoovering of small areas as they get messy.

Doesn’t remove the need for a bigger corded industrial hoover though

1 Like

Fair point! We should cover it with ‘clean room only’ labels though

Before @lewisss says anything, yes, Dewalt also do one :laughing:

5 Likes

Also the key thing to remember with the Dyson is it’s not got a bag so it shouldn’t block as easily,.

Alas, the casing for that wheel is partly broken. Some joiners mate and offcuts are now holding it together again :slight_smile:
Castor back on and working for now, but may not last that long…

I’ve a similar model. It’s good but I would worry about the plastic cracking if it gets bashed about. Also it is for dust and small particles, a shaving of wood clogs the inlet in no time (though it’s easy to clean).
Also great for cleaning the inside of the car!

Bump.

Also this was the previous thread about hoovers from last November.

What do we need to move this forward?
We need to buy some hoovers for the space.

I would say let a tech from messy and a tech from clean take responsibility and decide and stop all this time wasting.

A space wide debate about which hoover to get is paralysis by analysis.

1 Like

I think we need to make a clearer case. Speaking with one of the directors the other day he wasn’t convinced of the need.

How much would she charge to clean the space twice a week?!

this is he said, she said.

which every director it is needs to put there case for not having one.

one director can not vito something that has wide acceptance.

im not sure how valid the directors opinions are about the cleaniness of the space after their lack of action has meant members leaving, techs stepping down and a lot of agro in the space that is unresolved and unreplied to.

i dont feel like the current directors come to the space enough to actually have a good idea of actually what is going on in the space day to day.

the lack of a reply to the post demonstrates that the current system is not working.

eg: month long posting with the need to get a thumbs up from people that dont come to the space.

what we need is devolution of power to stop the endless pointless bottleneck of power that stops reasonable requests being actioned in a timely manner.

members have left, techs have stepped down, agro in the space.

we need to change the ineffective power structure.

These the sorts of problems that the Governance working group people are supposed to be finding solutions for.

that is good news.
although i dont think we need to wait for the governace to end before making this happen

the directors have done an excellent job and put in hours of work.
and this has worked very well with 100 members.

we need to come to terms with the fact that we know have 250 members and we need more flexable power balcnce. too few people have too much responsibiltiy and can bloack things too easily. not malcioulsy. but just practicaly.

these things wont change unless they are talked about.

we need to be 100% clear about what the roles of directors are and are not. i dont think managing individual purchaeses should be in the remit. overseaing budgets is not the same as ok’ing individual purchases.

the only way around this is to remove this explicitly from their remit and put in place roles for people that can do this. this frees up directors time to work on work that is more appropriate and empower other people into doing other work that allows us as a space to make small scale day to day decisions much more easily.

possible solutions would be:
a) give techs more reponsibility / flexability
b) create a third role that has purchasing power (this would give a system of checks and balances)

So I’ve re-read this thread top to bottom. I can’t see a single place where this had been blocked by anyone. There seems to be a board consensus that this is a thing that should probably happen. Is this something that can’t wait until Tuesday next week to be rubber-stamped by a members meeting?

What I can’t find however is an actual proposal that can be actioned by anyone beyond ‘let’s get a hoover’ which seems to have broad support. Which Hoover? From where? How much?

You are however correct, that exercising veto over whether to buy a hoover or not is not what the directors should be doing. I see no evidence that that has happened in this thread (other than a 3rd hand account that one or more directors doesnt see the point, atlhough please remember that the directors are also members and are entitled to a view…) but would argue as stated above, that there is nothing here yet that can actually be actioned.

1 Like

For what it’s worth my experience of the Dyson cordless:
I absolutely hate Dyson. Pretty much all his products. Almost every one I have spoken to who owns them hates his products.
The cordless Dyson I have is one of the best things I ever bought. Top 3. I would recommend it for the clean area. Using a cordless is so much easier for quick jobs. My house is vacuumed daily in high traffic areas because it is so easy.
I had problems with it and if you speak to Dyson just right they will fix it or replace it quickly (I got a free upgrade) and their warranty is usually long.
Buy one for the clean room.
Can’t help you on a corded for the other rooms though.

1 Like

consent or approval can be given by writing things or not writing things.
there are other examples on the forum where a director giving their approval ends in a purchase.
as members we rightly or wrongly wait for this nod of approval.

do you have any ideas on how this could be improved?

I suppose the point is that all three of us agree with you that it’s not our place to be vetoing or even needing to provide our approval of every small thing that occurs in the space - personally, I lack the time and inclination to micromanage at that level. I suppose the reason why there is little engagement from the directors in this thread is that the point where we need to engage (actually ordering a thing) hasn’t occured. Sorry if that is what you were waiting for, but this never needed us to say yes or no, but did need a clear plan as to what which is missing.

From a legal and pragmatic point of view - passing purchasing responsibility downwards is problematic (and frankly a pain in the ass). It’s way easier if the (you’re calling it treasurer, which is defacto right now Tommen, and would almost certainly need to be a director going forwards for a whole collection of reasons) buys stuff on the company dime. Alternatively, buy and claim back is the less efficient way of doing it.

The easiest way to get this sort of thing moving is to have a discussion with broad appeal (Which you have), then someone take ownership over picking a thing, and then seeking approval (which you’d almost certainly have gotten if that had happened). I’d note that the quickest and most transparent way to do this (and almost certainly what we would have said) is though the members meeting (next tuesday is the first meeting since this proposal). I can understand that there is a time-locked frustration here and this feels pretty mundane, but to be honest, a lot of what we’re doing here is (or at least, dammit, should be) pretty mundane and a months turn around on a proposal isn’t THAT ridiculous.

The directors are here for a lot of things that are quite opaque (more often not because they’re unimportant, but because they’re reallyfreakingboring), but researching hoovers is not one of them, and personally, I was under the impression that this, like so many other things, should be solved by community consensus.

totally agree with you.
hopefully a member will steep forward and take this on…

splitting hairs on one small detail, its the best part of ten months at best case.

My feelings exactly! I’ve hated every other Dyson I’ve ever used but I love this one.

I’m adamant that we need a lightweight, easy to use Hoover, for the clean room. The floor is so dirty I find it depressing to be in the space as it currently is.

But yes it can absolutely wait till the next members meeting.

1 Like

Im thinking of buying one on eBay for the home. There’s a few cordless dyson models …which ones the reccommeded one?

If this is being discussed at the members meeting tomorrow we need a costed proposal.

My only issue with buying an expensive cordless Dyson would be that it might not be useful when we have new vinyl floor — which could happen within a few days of someone taking ownership of that project.

1 Like