Maker Raft Race - August 5th 2017

See below an exciting opportunity to belittle other London workshops by beating them hands down in a raft race.

Or…

A fun project/challenge and day on the water with a bunch of fellow makers, with food and beer…

Are we on board?

Hello Fellow London Workshop Operators,

Who is up for making wonderful wacky water craft and getting wet this year? The date is set for August 5th.

I need a few ‘Aye aye Captain, count us in!’ or a ‘No Thanks Captain Keeno’ if you’ve considered it and can’t do it or don’t fancy it. Tom, perhaps you can circulate this around any other workshop groups around London and Mike, can you send around the Men’s Shed group to see interest?

The first Maker Raft Race was smashing fun, we had old folks and young folks making and racing rafts, designers and makers flopping about in the water in a desperate bid to finish the race, let alone win it, and a serene designer/maker riding his CNC routed punt, designed by his grandad! We had boats that were put together on site in 60 mins (and won the race!), and some taking weeks to make - with freshly hewn props and everything. The event was put on for a grand total of £250, so lets not worry too much about how we can afford it.

The Islington Boat Club (who have been fighting for survival against the never ending march of the property developers) are well up for hosting another community get-together this year. But we need to confirm minimum of 6 teams before I commit!!! I think the max number of entries is probably around 24.

The crafts could be made by the workshop founders / coordinators / makers in residence, your members, or the event could be used to reach out to a local school, scout group, men’s shed, fire brigade etc. to get them involved in the fun of designing and making and the enjoying the fruits of one’s labour. The first rule of boat club is that no marine parts or materials can be used… the second rule is to have a laugh.

Obviously we all like making things, and are super serious most of the time, but this is a lovely chance to make things just for shits and giggles and get together as a community, get wet, then have a sausage and drink some beer.

I am happy to organise again, but need a minimum commitment of teams. If we go ahead I’ll get a poster done for distribution, organise safety and marshalling, set out the rules, and most importantly the prize categories… The boat club has showers and changing rooms, space to put finishing touches to the craft, life jackets, safety boats, and tea. Plus they will offer free pedalos to use, canoe and kayaks to play in, and all manner of other jolly maritime fun. Fun for all the fam!

So, who’s in? Please reply “Aye aye Captain, count us in!” or “No thanks Captain Keeno”, so I can count you off the list.

Thanks for reading!

Captain Keeno

2 Likes

I’m In.

I have been on the canals twice in my life and have fallen in the canal both times. I’m not sure I should take part…

Someone has to fall in!

I can’t swim but I can glue stuff together :smiley:

Sounds amazing! We’re away then but I’d be happy to help get something ready.

I’m up for it.

Falling in is part of the game

Would love to join in, but I’m in Turkey that week.

I’ll send positive thoughts and raise an ice-cold Effes to Team SLMS!

Count me in!

Can we make ours entirely out of scrap we find in the space?

I’m envisioning a raft mostly made out of old computers, routers and twigs.

2 Likes

We could make it out of the snug…then we’d have to rebuild the snug…

1 Like

One way to tidy up a bit…

1 Like

The rules on what the raft must be and do will be sent out soon.

@members The race is in 3 weeks today, we need to make plans if this is going ahead.

2 Likes

Is there any specific rules/further details? Are we supposed to turn up with out materials, but do the while build ‘on the day’? Or try to do as much prep as possible, and then just assemble a few bits in the day?
Anyone got access to wombleable flotation devices? Big plastic drums, large pieces of polystyrene?

Captain Keeno a.k.a. Oliver Collier is calling all Makers across the capital and beyond to partake in a Maker Raft Race for the second year running!

It’s not too late for teams to register, currently there are teams from: Makerversity, Institute of Making, Carpentry Club, Islington Boat Club Seniors & Youth Team, Projects Office, Brew By Numbers and Weaver’s Fields Adventure Playground.

We’ve got unconfirmed interest from South London Makerspace, Machines Room, and Goldfinger Factory and Blackhorse Workshop, so email your teams in now to Oliver, but remember to follow the rules (below).

I’ve you are not able to form a team, Captain Keeno still needs your help, we need an audience, so put the poster up in your local open workshop, or maker gatherings!

Download the A4 poster

Also Captain Keeno needs logistical help…

Chief BBQ Operator
It was great having a BBQ and cups of tea last time, but the dude who did it has moved on. Does anyone fancy running the BBQ?

Land Marshals
I will need two responsible land-lubbing co-ordinators to help me run things on the day (I have recruited three already) - does anyone have a reliable spouse they can volunteer?

Sounds
There will be a PA to play nautical music and for someone to do the commentary of the races. Al, I believe you volunteered for this?
If any one has any fisherman shanty choirs up their sleeve or accordion playing pirates who want to do a set then please put them in touch. Otherwise I will be putting together a play list to entertain us while we build and race.

Further information

Other Activities
There will be pedalos and kayaks for spectators and participants to try out. And a Tug-Of-War for anyone that wants to join in.

Beer
Brew by numbers have kindly offered to provide loads of beer for everybody, we might take a small donation for such things. More refreshments are welcome.

Costs
Split the total costs (£250 last year) between teams that can afford to make a contribution.

Rules 2017

Pirates, bucchaneers, shipwrights and admirals, by order of Captain Keeno and his associates, the following are the final rules for 2017:

– All rafts must be deemed Canal-Worthy by the assessment panel prior to launch.
– You can be on site from 10am making / tweaking / finishing rafts…
– Raft materials must not contaminate the canal in any way.
– Raft can be no more than 6 feet wide (that’s 1.8288m for the metrics).
– All vessels to be human or nature powered (paddles, wind, solar etc. are OK).
– No pre-made, salvaged marine parts (canoes, paddles, outboards etc…). No marine ply!
– All participants must wear life jackets (we will provide!)
– All participants are responsible for the removal and/or disposal of their raft following the event (all the bits… from land or water).
– Each raft must have at least two people on board.
– There is no maximum number of people that can be on each raft, but all must pass the finish line (swimming trunks recommended but not required)
– All teams must be able to carry their rafts overland from finish to start line if they are fortunate enough to win a heat.
– The judges’ word is final – until next year…
– You must register your team name
– Each team must have a flag and a 2m flag pole!!!
– All team members must be able to swim 50m
– Maximum draft is 4 foot.

RACING WILL START PROMPTLY THIS YEAR. LATE COMERS WILL BE PENALISED / DISQUALIFIED.

1 Like

Thanks for posting the full details @unknowndomain.

For anyone interested in entering, shall we have a get together at SLMS to make a plan, sharpish?
Vote away - choose all you can attend…

• Mon 17th - 7pm
  • Tues 18th - 7pm
  • Weds 19th - 7pm
  • Thurs 20th - 7pm
  • Fri 21st - 7pm
  • Sat 22nd - daytime
  • Sun 23rd - daytime
  • Other - post below!

0 voters

I’m thinking the classic 4 big plastic drums held together with anything that’s going begging from the snug?
Fashion some ergonomic oars?
Could we rig up an old bike to drive a paddlewheel? SLMS pedalo?

This is my favourite rule.

I haven’t quite squared how this will gybe with a three year old, and perhaps it simply won’t, but I’m all for this kind of thing. And know my way around boats.

1 Like