I'm going to buy some hardwood

yeah, I will be, in many shades of different wood.

1 Like

I’m going to add some oak to my list I think
Would love to order this for next week. Is that do-able ?

I might want to get some sapele. I’ll work out what I need.

Yes, please! I’m copying Howard and wanting Sapele

Time to make an editable list perhaps so we can place an order?
Does anyone have a club account with them?

dimensions and prices are here
https://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/products/solid-timber/sawn-boards

Yus! This here be a wiki post: edit at will!

• @tomnewsom 8ft 4x2" sawn ash (in one 8 or two 4ft pieces)
  • @Barnaby_Coote 1 sheet 12mm s/bb superior grade birch ply long grain
  • @Esther_Gladstone 3m of 38mm x 300mm Sapele (can be cut in to two pieces of 1.65m and 1.35m), a pair of Australian Banksia nuts
  • @Howard sapele sawn 63x125mm x 6m
  • @hannahintech 18mm ply 2.4 by 1.x however it comes!

Is resawing wood on the band saw a particually stupid thing to be doing at the space? I’m trying to economise on my order…

Nope, use the fence and one of the wider blades and it should be fine. Resaw capacity is probably ~8" though.

Excellent! Thanks

Where can I buy wood for shelves? SLMS sells it now right? How much does it cost? I’m taking measurements this morning. Also, is there a thread for requests? Might be useful to have one!

1 Like

nope that’s what its for!

We don’t sell wood yet, although there is a laser ply stocking system in the works, but not solid wood

This thread is about ordering it through sl hardwoods to save on delivery. We still need to figure out how we are going to group buy but putting the money into a common pot and then centralising the order would make sense (can SLMS accounting allow for the space to receive money to make the purchase on our behalf?)

If you want to order for shelves you have two options:

-buy PAR (planed all around). Your shelves are ready to be finished and used.

-buy a board or share a board, and cut it and plane it yourself (I don’t think you’d have much trouble getting help for this). This option is much cheaper. There is a price grid on the link I posted earlier if you pick a wood type. You need to buy extra to allow for planing and defects (best is to go there and choose your board)

Okay I’ll work it all out! That’s helpful info thanks, I had the wood induction and do plan to do it all myself. It’s not just shelves I need but a proper shelving unit. I’ll check the link thanks!

I was just going to collect up the cash and do it personally :slight_smile:

@hannahintech if there’s anything from this list (or site): https://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/products/solid-timber/sawn-boards you want, there’ll be an order put in in the next day or so.

see this post for a shopping list:

1 Like

any more for any more @howard, @hannahintech ?

Yes but I didn’t take the measurements yet!

Can someone help me out since its short notice? I just want basic wood (ie cheap but durable!) to handle some weight but not masses, it’s for my allotment shed. It will be max 2.5 metres by 1metre but I haven’t take measurements yet. I don’t mind a little extra wood I can use for something else.

Buy a sheet of 18mm plywood? It’s cheap, strong and comes in approx 2.4m*1.2m

1 Like

Sounds good.

Cool, I’ll try and work out costs later today :slight_smile: