I'm going to buy some hardwood

for some picture frames.

Does anyone else need any? I’m getting in from slhardwoods.

Cheers

Pete

alternatively, is upcycling this a dumb idea?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sanded-Solid-Oak-table-top-510-x-810-x-30mm-/272639687172?hash=item3f7a977a04:g:Mz4AAOSw2gxYz6-h

Yes I do

I need 8ft of 2x4" sawn ash

I’d like to get 2 sheets of 12mm birch ply from them

That’s equivalent to about 3-4m of 130mm wide boards 30cm thick
SL harwoods do 150mm wide at 38mm thick for £16/m, so taking into account what you’re going to plane off you should be able to make a slightly larger (580mm) surface for £64 providing you don’t hit any defects in the boards.

Those tops are a nice big blemish-free surface though so i’d go for it, but keep it as a top!

Also given they’ve been glued and kept like that for years you can be pretty sure they are stable

I probably have enough hardwood in my hord to cover a frame or two how much do you need

I have 5 or 6 I want to make, but I want them all to have a different character, so a range of woods would be a nice thing.

The first one I want to make is to contain a mirror that is 750 by 600 though… Would be grateful if you did have some I could start out with :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will have a look

you are a scholar and a gentleman.

Er, so are you still buying some hardwood from SL ? :smiley:

yeah, I will be, in many shades of different wood.

1 Like

I’m going to add some oak to my list I think
Would love to order this for next week. Is that do-able ?

I might want to get some sapele. I’ll work out what I need.

Yes, please! I’m copying Howard and wanting Sapele

Time to make an editable list perhaps so we can place an order?
Does anyone have a club account with them?

dimensions and prices are here
https://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/products/solid-timber/sawn-boards

Yus! This here be a wiki post: edit at will!

• @tomnewsom 8ft 4x2" sawn ash (in one 8 or two 4ft pieces)
  • @Barnaby_Coote 1 sheet 12mm s/bb superior grade birch ply long grain
  • @Esther_Gladstone 3m of 38mm x 300mm Sapele (can be cut in to two pieces of 1.65m and 1.35m), a pair of Australian Banksia nuts
  • @Howard sapele sawn 63x125mm x 6m
  • @hannahintech 18mm ply 2.4 by 1.x however it comes!

Is resawing wood on the band saw a particually stupid thing to be doing at the space? I’m trying to economise on my order…

Nope, use the fence and one of the wider blades and it should be fine. Resaw capacity is probably ~8" though.

Excellent! Thanks