I'm going to buy some hardwood

Where can I buy wood for shelves? SLMS sells it now right? How much does it cost? I’m taking measurements this morning. Also, is there a thread for requests? Might be useful to have one!

1 Like

nope that’s what its for!

We don’t sell wood yet, although there is a laser ply stocking system in the works, but not solid wood

This thread is about ordering it through sl hardwoods to save on delivery. We still need to figure out how we are going to group buy but putting the money into a common pot and then centralising the order would make sense (can SLMS accounting allow for the space to receive money to make the purchase on our behalf?)

If you want to order for shelves you have two options:

-buy PAR (planed all around). Your shelves are ready to be finished and used.

-buy a board or share a board, and cut it and plane it yourself (I don’t think you’d have much trouble getting help for this). This option is much cheaper. There is a price grid on the link I posted earlier if you pick a wood type. You need to buy extra to allow for planing and defects (best is to go there and choose your board)

Okay I’ll work it all out! That’s helpful info thanks, I had the wood induction and do plan to do it all myself. It’s not just shelves I need but a proper shelving unit. I’ll check the link thanks!

I was just going to collect up the cash and do it personally :slight_smile:

@hannahintech if there’s anything from this list (or site): https://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/products/solid-timber/sawn-boards you want, there’ll be an order put in in the next day or so.

see this post for a shopping list:

1 Like

any more for any more @howard, @hannahintech ?

Yes but I didn’t take the measurements yet!

Can someone help me out since its short notice? I just want basic wood (ie cheap but durable!) to handle some weight but not masses, it’s for my allotment shed. It will be max 2.5 metres by 1metre but I haven’t take measurements yet. I don’t mind a little extra wood I can use for something else.

Buy a sheet of 18mm plywood? It’s cheap, strong and comes in approx 2.4m*1.2m

1 Like

Sounds good.

Cool, I’ll try and work out costs later today :slight_smile:

I just had a look, I still haven’t worked it out properly but looks like I’ll need a 2x4 piece of lumber. Whatever size it comes in, I think the standard 8ft. Can I get that too? Because surely the ply is too thin to make a whole shelving unit?

18mm ply should be fine for most uses. Most of the furniture in the space is now made out of that alone :slight_smile:

Oh okay! Great :slight_smile:

you can turn a second strip of ply on its edge to support the shelf and run longer spans with thinner wood. This is what was done for the shelves above the lathe if you want to have a look

1 Like

I updated the list
When can we go through with the order?
I think we were just waiting on me.

Yep, think we’re good to go. Will sort out tomorrow am and send out bank deets for payment :slight_smile:

1 Like

Made a quick change to standard birch ply. I’ll finish it white myself.

@peter_hellyer i’m not too late changing my order i hope?

Nope, all good. I’ll do the wrangling in the morning. Sorry, this week has been manic work wise.