Wednesday open evenings are our regular public-facing event. The aim of this event is to perform one or more group tours of the space showing people around, and answering questions, while the other person sorts out teas for and holds any late comers for the next tour.
To volunteer for this vital duty, go to this topic.
Before the open evening
- Doors open to the public at 19:30, so get there by 19:00.
- Tidy up any horrible messes.
- Give the bathroom a quick wipe
- Take the bin bags out (collection is after 20:00)
- Put the signs out. Two with arrows, one on the pavement on Norwood Road, and the other pointing to the left as you walk up from the gates. The sandwich board goes outside the front door. Feel free to customise it with a friendly message.
- grab lanyards and flyers from the blue ‘open evening’ box folder in social area. Use the whiteboard marker to write host name on lanyard.
- The first tour should start around 19:45 to allow later comers, provide tea/coffee and biscuits or invite people to grab a beer.
- Get the visitors to sit down, introduce themselves and talk about their interests and projects they are working or plan to work on.
- Start in the clean area/event space, point out the key areas:
- General purpose co-working area
- Accessible toilet
- Social area
- Move into the messy workshop, show people around:
- Laser cutter
- 3D printers
- Screen printing
- Basic plastic/metal work corner
- Cycle tools
- Explain area is also for general messy making
- Finish in the wood workshop
Ensure all activity in the workshop stops before the tour group enters, until the group has left.
- Point out each of the tools
- Return to the clean room for Q&A
Talking points during the tour
- Your job is to explain what Makerspace is:
Members take turns
Members have a say in how things work
- Not a service
Members contribute time as well as financially to the space
- Hand out flyers from the open evening box
- Answer questions you can, but point them to Discourse if you aren’t sure, try not to guess/assume.
After the tour
- Introduce guests to members, try and find common interests.
Ensure that members working are happy to be interrupted first.
- If they want to join, see if they can do it there and then.
After the event
Clean up any rubbish
Go to sleep