Guitar Building and Maintenance Group

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49b32aea0>

I’ve created a thread in the Events section for our next meeting. I’ve started it at 7pm so we’ll have a little bit more time before last trains etc., but drop in whenever :slight_smile:

Looking forward to catching up with you all again!

1 Like

I can’t really make Tuesdays! :triumph::triumph::triumph:

Oh no, what days can you do?

Totally random, but came across this supplier while browsing and thought it might be useful for you guys…

I was wondering if some of you would enjoy this article !

Awesome, looks like a good source of tools. Thanks @afshind :slight_smile:

Great article!

Just a friendly reminder that there’s a meeting again tonight, from 7pm.

I’ll probably be there a little earlier working on my guitar so drop into the woodworking area if I’m not around :slight_smile:

Just read some fascinating stuff about Brian May’s home-built guitar, the “Red Special” linked from Boing Boing.

A really interesting instrument. Made by Brian and his dad in the 60s and played by Brian in Queen right up to the present day.

EDIT: Of course I’m late to the party :smiley:

1 Like

:laughing: @tomnewsom yes it’s a great article! @emuboy linked it a few comments earlier :slight_smile: did you join the session yesterday? I was sad I had to miss it!

Edit: I just properly processed your edit above, clearly I’m not awake yet!

Just remembered! I’ld like to make distortion pedals!!

There’s a wealth of tech out there re. distortion pedals, from designs to kits. Pick your approach (germanium vs. silicon/Klon vs. others/modify-that-old-Boss-pedal, you name it) and make something! Many of today’s boutique builders started out DIY. I don’t use distortion much these days, but will be happy to wail on anything you build.

I’m doing my almost daily trawl through ebay for guitar wood and came across this mahogany body blank. It’s dirt cheap (these one-piece blanks are usually upwards of £50/£60), and I’ve bought from this guy before so he’s good.

So just in case anyone is looking for a cheap body blank (@hannahintech?) and has a spare £20 lying around this looks like a solid piece.

that looks great! I might buy it when I get home :slight_smile: thanks for the link. I’ll have to collate a list of good people to watch!

Do it! I just got me a rather pretty slab of black limba from the same guy. Been waiting for something like that to pop up for ages!

1 Like

Since not everyone can make our meetings on Tuesdays, I’ve created a lil’ poll so we can work out a better day for our bi-weekly meets :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can’t access this even though Im signed in

Can I propose that we meet on Monday 10th August? Because I’m busy next week and I’d like to get together again :smile:

That’s strange. It’s in the private section of discussion. Can you get access to that bit of Discourse? If not, then you might need to link your SLMS account with your Discourse account.

Yeah, sorry. I’ve been out of action lately.

10th August?! That’s quite a long way away, I’d hope we’ll meet up before then at least once!