Film screenings at the Makerspace?

Hi all

Think I have something that might be useful

Its a CNC cut sign. Approx 2100mm x 1050mm. Painted plywood. its from a job i did a couple of summers back and has been in storage. Was trying to sell on but no interest, but if you would like it for the event, let me know

cheers

4 Likes

In red and white? It must be a sign :slightly_smiling:
Yes please!

1 Like

haha

Bad light. Its Pink and White.

Cool I can drop it off when I’m next down…if you don’t mind the pink

Hi Jesse,

Welcome to the Makerspace.

Yes, the sign looks great…

But could you hold fire on bringing it to the space? We’re a bit short on storage right now. The screenings aren’t till May. Are you able to store it until nearer the time?

yep that’s not a problem.
I could see from the building work today you are short on space.
Just let me know when you want it.

I haven’t seen it but it sounds perfect .

How many films do we need?

There’s always The Martian. I’ve read the book but not seen the film. Seems quite Makery.

Probably too expensive for a small event like this?

No harm in asking!

I can get it on Google Play for £3.99 :wink:

If we could find it, maybe we could hire…

The festival organisers deal with all the film rights.

My understanding was that obscure films were more expensive.

However, it’s easy to imagine that such a recent film could be expensive too.

Let’s keep it in the list and keep coming up with more.

@JackieO mentioned Modern Times, the Chaplin film

I imagine there is a cost to getting the print of the film on obscure films.

Hi there, I work in the ‘biz’ so have a bit of experience in this. What is the purpose of the screening? Is it to raise money, the profile of Maker’s Space or just a ‘nice to do’?

The festival will need to pay a screening fee to the distributors of the movie - this can be anything from £100 to £5K depending on what it is. Currently the BAFTA shorts programme is out…that will cost them £150. Most of the filmmakers are in London so they might pop down for a Q&A to add value.

Also worth noting that there are loads of filmmakers, actors, writers and producers that live in Herne Hill, could be worth, programming something around them and inviting them to do a little talk, then do a practical / creative workshop after?

1 Like

It’s part of the Herne Hill Film Festival.

The question is still worth thinking through though - why are we taking part? What do we want to get out of it?

I would say it’s probably 50% raising our profile and 50% just nice to do, a fun thing that members, friends and anyone else interested can come along to.

3 Likes

I think value added things would be good, maybe show a film, then have a workshop about something connected.

Like:

Batteries not included, followed by a workshop about tiny alien robot drones.
Back to the future, followed by a ‘make your own flux capacitor’ session.
WallE, followed by a ‘turn a tin can into something lovely’ workshop

For the films picked so far, we have the camera obscura lens (best for before the film to make use of the daylight)
For The Man in the White Suit we could get a can of that hydophobic spray

1 Like

I think that wr should do exibision space for all the members that have to live by thetr wits , this should bring real benefits to the members