Workshop on Sunday 4th December: How to create cities of the imagination

EDIT: this is happening this Sunday from 12 to 3pm, so sign up below!

Proposal:

Our friend, the very talented artist/maker James Abel has offered to run another of his Imaginary Cities workshops for us.

This was a popular, enjoyable and creative evening when he trialed it with us last December.

This time there will be a charge (somewhere around £10 to £14 per person for a roughly 3 hour session). Session would be from 12 noon till at least 3pm (but can be open ended as members are free to carry on working on projects after this of course)

Some blurb:
James will take you on a journey to create an imaginary city, taking in Blender, 3d Printing, Arduino, and laser cutting on the way. He’ll cram as many of those aspects in as possible.

As this is incredibly imminent it would be useful to gauge interest and feedback ASAP so we can let James know. For my part I think it’s great to have workshops in the space: Chanelle’s craft-alongs have be a real boost.

Thoughts?

P.S. he’s also offered to do a presentation for us about his recent experience as artist in residence at a FabLab in Iceland, probably later on the same day.

Until we can do a proper post please sign up here:

1 Like

yeah I’d come to this

I’m very keen if the day can be the right day :slight_smile:

I’d love to if I’m free

Giving this a bump. Any more for any more?

How wonderful is this! It sounds like magic to me. This workshop absolutely has to be at least photographed with a quality narrative and at most with some videos too.

Cities of the Imagination, I’m having a holiday already. Magnificent proposal Dermot.

Okay, we’re going to go for this, a new wiki post will appear soon for people to sign up.

There’ll be a fuller post later, but till then please put your name in the top post, which is now Wikified!

Hello there,

I’m James who is doing the imaginary cities workshop on Sunday. I really enjoy doing these workshops and I put as much into it as possible to inspire your own ideas and goals.

I hope you can make it. I did this workshop at the Makerspace last year and since then I’ve improved on the workshop. I also make my own imaginary cities, the latest one is a 3D print model kit form which I can talk about too at the workshop.

If you have any questions s feel welcome to contact me here or at info@jamesabellart.com . Best regards, James.
www.jamesabellart.com
Twitter - @jamesabellart

2 Likes

Giving this a bump. Tyler has signed up, and James is just about to open booking to non-members.

Hope ok to use your logo, please feel free to share this if you feel anyone will be interested. Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@AussieFred @sabtab @peter_hellyer @jackiekeane are you guys going to attemf? It’s this Sunday from 12-3.

Add names to first post.

@toliver38 you are the first!

Sorry taking forever to reply, not sure about childcare yet… :weary:

Any more for this? We only have @toliver38 signed up so far! With less than 24 hours to go

Dermot, I think this is a very cool thing but as you surely know, I have no idea of CAD/Laser/3D tech whatsoever and by this I mean not at all whatsoever :smiley: However, I am fascinated and very interested.

As South London MakerSpace and Kids Kreate follow each other on twitter, I’ve gotten many tweets from James Abell Art and I like his work.

So, yes, I will be there.

Sabrina, childcare for all parents is always a struggle, I don’t have kids but have taken trains and sometimes aeroplanes to look after of my nephews!

I will be there tomorrow, have just said yes cus I think it’s fascinating and a privilege to have James Abell come to show us things we don’t know yet.

If you can’t get anybody to look after Casper, then just bring him with you!

Between all of us we can keep him happy, he’s an easy baby to look after. Obviously your ‘kit’ that all mums n dads travel with includes a couple of books n toys to entertain him. He will be safe because we all have the common sense to.

It’d be lovely to see you both.

1 Like

Hi Jackie hope you can make it. You don’t have to know how to use the tools, its ideas and imagination, the tools can be used or you can just bring traditional media such as paper pen, glue etc.

Thank you Jackie for the offer :heartpulse: that’s really nice! But partner has planned something.

So this is on! Will be small but beautiful from the look of things. If you’re wavering then just be there by 12noon.

Notes for anyone who’s attending: bring.a laptop, and a mouse with a centre wheel (this is invaluable when using Blender). We have a few spare mice which I’ll dig out in the morning.

Also bring an imagination ready to be gently stretched!

Hi James,

Gosh, now I’m putting another kind of pen to a blank sheet :slight_smile:!

Pen n paper are always how the best things are formed (scribbles on napkins, deals made on the back of menus, fag packets, bits of paper from the waiter), so I love this.

Thanks James, I will be there, with a hangover (!), but we have a proper coffee pot courtesy of Dermot and it will be interesting and fun.