Worker's hood from the 14th Century

It was/is cold as flip in our house and in the Maker Space. So I decided to make a hat out of scraps to keep my head warm. This spiralled a bit because I learned about ‘The London Hood’ a real hood from the 14th century, so obviously I had to make that. London innit.

References:
I used this as a guide for the cutting - http://sidneyeileen.com/sewing-2/tuts-costume/costume-drafting/medieval-open-hood-pattern/
It’s a fairly standard hood, but features a Liripipe - a long tail - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liripipe

The Plan:
Make an item of clothing that a 14th century person would recognise BUT I’d use modern materials and anything else that took my fancy, because it’s not for historical re-enactment it’s for me, because it’s cold.

The Process

Pattern was roughly reverse engineered from the photo on the blog. Had to tape some paper together. I didn’t make a pattern for the Liripipe bit because it’s a long tube and I’d just use what ever offcuts I could find. Also I had decided my liripipe would be hollow so I could run a USB cable down it. Of course.

• Note make the neck a bit more generous next time.

First test wear, pinned together to see the fit. It’s already very warm but we’re going to LINE this MFer

Wool lining in. Chosen because I had some knocking around. I didn’t realise that I’d accidentally made a hood in ‘nun colours’. Oh well Whimple chic it is. Wool made it loads warmer and, I’d soon find out is brilliant for capturing the smell of the laser cutter! What a treat!

Laser cut hexagon buttons. Because if I can use a hexagon I will. Made from 3mm ply scraps.

Laser cutting some leather tabs (no idea if this is the right word) for the buttons to go through. This was suggested by Charlies (THANKS!) as with the wool lining in the hood was getting tight around the neck, so I didn’t have the spare fabric to make buttons and button holes.

Buttons and tabs on. Was a bit of a learning experience, which is why some of them are authentically wobbly. Next set of buttons will have a larger lip to hole ratio. Also I’d give myself a bit more ease on the hole for the buttons on the tabs.

Hood being modelled. Lovely and warm, and absolutely HONKS of burned wood and leather. So the first thing I’m going to do with it is very carefully wash it. Still, was a fun 24 hours of messing about and learning new things.

12 Likes

com-webp-to-gif-converter

That looks great!

1 Like

I’ve got a few books that might be of interesting - shout if you want to borrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been trying to make a ‘rus kaftan’ for a while now so anything on that would be amazing, thank you!

Very interested in shoulder capes/mantles for biking!

…it- it’s beautiful

I want the next sartorial cyclist trend to be medieval garb

2 Likes

Fantastic work! The stitching on the leather tabs looks great.

A good tip for laser cutting leather:

Always mask off the surface of the material to stop any burn marks, and after cutting before removing the masking tape clean the cut burnt edge of the leather with a baby wipe to remove excess soot and smell :slight_smile:

1 Like

Medieval garb in ultra high tech materials? I’m listening

Thanks for all your help @charlesmein absolutely would not have managed it without you!

Working on something else now and I’m already thinking about using laser cut leather to edge stuff.

The books are in the textiles room on the shelf for you to borrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Samuel,

We are starting to look at our content inclusion for the Dulwich festival Maker fair we have a “Don’t be Shy! submit your Make” event happening on Friday. Would this be of any interest to you maybe and/or do you know anyone else I can reach out too?

Cheers
Dorine

Hello! I am in Devon so not near my hood or the maker space but happy to help in any way I can

1 Like

You around next week?

Yes, or at least I can be

1 Like