Wood above woodshop entry

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa499bb2ea8>

Ryan and I were admiring the slabs and other pieces of wood stored above the entrance to the woodshop. Andy says that some of it’s been there for years. Some of it is labelled with names, most not. Does anyone know whom it belongs to? And if not we’d like to do some projects with it…

All members (unauthorised) storage I believe

Can you post the names you can see and we’ll look at sorting this

EDIT: there may be some COVID mitigating circumstances…but that stuff has really outstayed its welcome

Some of its mine but can’t remember what

1 Like

Yeah, it has been years for most of that! @calaiswood, @ryanf - next time we sre in we can pull it all down and inventory it, then post up for folks to claim, or declare it up for grabs…

3 Likes

I’m in Mexico but I’ll take mine away when I’m back in New year…most is marked AF by chalk or labels, if they haven’t fallen off. Thick oaks for a workbench, pippy Oak long slabs and walnut.

@woodtechs is the planar/thicknesser operational?

1 Like

Ah, yes, planer/thickneser was out of action for an age…

It is operational. But the blades need sharpening.

1 Like

What’s happening to the wood that had no name on them?

Also, @afshind could you take your wood away?

Both of them are quite in the way and have actually been hazardous to members as they easily fall over or slide and almost hit someone the other day.

1 Like

You might want to chat to Petra about this. I took it away but was told that I needed to return it, as it was going to be used for woodworking courses…

1 Like

@lewisss

This needs to be secured: sounds like a hazard has been spotted, (unless you’re exaggerating for effect?) Near miss reporting and acting on prevents real-world injuries. Can you confirm the situation and we’ll get a solution?

1 Like

I have a couple of pieces of wood up there I fully plan to use the moment I managed to turn up without somebody bugging me to fix something

3 Likes

This is not really Ok, we spent hours clearing out this wood and posting on Discourse following the long term guideline that stuff that no one claims has always been up for grabs… So why can’t we use this wood again?

The big issue here is that EVERYONE needs to use storage requests or things get out of hand quickly and the space is full of peoples junk. If you don’t put in a storage request, your stuff is free for the taking.

3 Likes

It was confusing as it wasn’t officially up for grabs then. But as a principle I agree.

2 Likes

My understanding was that it would be shared among members, rather than just removed? There was some terrific timber there…not sure storing it for future woodworking courses is a good use of space @woodtechs?

1 Like

Apparently quite a lot of the wood up there was mine is only two remaining pieces that I am making something out of assuming you don’t find anything I need to fix tonight

1 Like

That was the idea, it can shared among members, any reason we can’t start taking a bit each until its gone?

There’s nothing up there though, just the two pieces from Joe, just checked.

No, the stuff by the snug door that has no name or storage request…