Where can I buy very thin (1mm thick!), 2 core, wire to fix my headphones?

Sadly my headphones (Beats Solo 2) have broke. The right speaker no longer works. From looking online this is a common issue with this model. The wire inside breaks due to poor design, and despite Apple confirming that this is a common issue, they want to charge £60 to fix!

I looked online and it seems fairly straightforward to fix (I rather not throw away as it’s a waste). BUT the wire I need needs to be 1mm thick! And it has two strands/core/whatever the technical term is. I cannot find anywhere to buy it.

Does anyone know where I can buy 1mm wire with 2 core for the audio?

Thanks!

It always brakes at the end just cut the broken bit off

I think the cable is broken in the middle rather than just detaches

Just buy a cheap set of headphones an use the wire

See what you can get on eBay, always good for small amounts of odd things.

Or rapidonline.co.uk but there’ll be postage under 30 order

Joe, it’s the internal wire it is very thin, The clearance is very small, the wire has to be 1mm.

I did look on eBay pip, sadly its only overseas and the postage is rather ridiculous.

Bring the headphones down to electronics night, potentially you could replace the entire headphone cable and then use whatever cable you like.

Looking on rapid I they don’t sell a 2 core cable thin enough, (From what I can find). The thiniest 2 core is 2.6 mm thickness which is too thick.

Check it’s not 2.6mm2, the cross sectional area, rather than 2.6mm diameter, or that diameter is including the insulation plastic.

Also, look for an ‘equipment wire’ category

In the equipment and hookup wire section filter by conductor cross section, which is in mm2 so check your specification is mm or mm2

Rapid have a range from 0.14mm2 and up

What about something along these lines?

(headphone wire is a bit of a pain to get, as it’s usually made specifically for manufacturers)

Sounds like the fault is strain relief - let me guess, they just tie a knot in the wire inside the headphone? maybe try using a very small cable tie or heat shrink or something instead?

Come down on Thursday night and I will find you some , there’s bound to be something kicking around

1 Like

No, it’s the internal wire

This:

I’ve decided to take my headphones apart and it is the wire that’s split.

Yeah, that’s what I’m saying - if you got a whole replacement cable that’d include the internal wiring too. Just getting the wire from the inside to the outside won’t be easy (in my experience).

But the internal wire to the right speaker is really thin, and the normal cable for the 3.5mm jack is too thick

Here’s what I got.

I can’t find 2 core in a single cable on rapidsite :sob:

The wire has to be so thin! It’s really annoying

Oooohhh, they’re wireless headphones…?

Does it really need to be 2 core, or could you run two really small wires?
https://www.rapidonline.com/lappkabel-4125001s-liy-single-core-stranded-wiring-cable-1-x-0-14mm-black-63-7023
https://www.rapidonline.com/lappkabel-4125104s-liy-single-core-stranded-wiring-cable-1-x-0-14mm-red-63-7032

Sadly has to be 2 core, the metal construction of the band around the top of the headphone only allows for one cable.

So thin!!!

Guessing you’ve seen these listing on eBay:

As the listing suggests

Made to OEM spec.

it’s a pretty weird wire they had made to spec - and being a consumer headphone Apple don’t offer spare parts.

I think your best bet is to try making your own wire with some individual cores (the ones I linked earlier are extremely thin…). Unless you don’t mind buying one from an eBay seller :slight_smile: