Where can I buy very thin (1mm thick!), 2 core, wire to fix my headphones?

Here’s a UK listing

First…

Did you:

Buy them yourself
For personal use not business
From a company in the EU/U.K.?

If so they should be able to be repaired free of charge under EU consumer law which is 6 years typically.

Who was the retailer? If it was Apple the Genius Bar should act as soon as you say eu consumer law.

4 years old, I did contact the retailer but I gave up as they wanted me to jump through many hoops. I did quote consumer law etc. If I can find the wire from a UK store I can easily fox them myself.

Plus I’ve already dismantled them

6 year guarantee?

damn i have stackloads of stuff that i can return now…

There is no European law that says goods must work for at least six years, or that you have a right to repair, refund or replacement during this period.

European law does, however, provide that all goods must have at least a two-year warranty.

Despite this, there is some truth in the six-year rule idea. The Sale of Goods Act 1979 – now the Consumer Rights Act 2015 – provides that consumers are entitled to a repair or replacement or refund where goods are faulty.

If the fault occurs after six months, the consumer has to prove that the problem was down to a fault or issue at the manufacturer, as opposed to wear and tear or misuse.

In accordance with a law known as the Statutes of Limitations, consumers have this right for six years in England and for five years in Scotland.What all this means is there is not an absolute right to a repair, replacement or refund. This is because you first have to prove the fault is not down to you.

The point is almost any product can be proven to reasonably last longer than a certain period and if you can get an independent report to say it was a manufacturing defect then yes it would be covered.

More importantly with Apple products they won’t argue it.

And all because Dr Dre left the wire in Compton!

The wire is 1MM including the shield. This can be found on our website -

The wire is $7 it’s cheap enough to buy one and install it yourself. We also have a YouTube video explaining the whole process for the repair.

And to have it shipped to the UK …

Standard Shipping at $ 15.00

Which is more expensive than the repair kit itself, brining the total to $28.99 or £20.96 in today’s money for what amounts to a piece of wire.

So um… yeah, not particularly awesome value for us in the UK! Thanks for taking the time to resurrect a thread from last year to market at us though.

4 Likes