What does membership get me?

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49880f2c0>

Hi, I got an invite to become a member. It says £25 a month, which is fine. However, I am a little confused, what does £25 a month get me? If there is a link to a page that tells you then please share it.

It says to contribute some of my time, which is also fine.

I suppose I want to know, does it give me access to the workshop and access to tools? If yes, what are the limitations, hours, time spent etc.

The location is a bit far from my house, but it seems like a great community and that’s why i am very interested in joining. It will take me an hour to get there, but if I have to leave within an hour or something, then it might defeat the benefit of joining. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you.
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Membership gives you access to the Space and the tools in it, plus it IS a community, so sometimes people come just to hang out with like minded people.

The Space is open when someone with shutter access is there, the sessions are posted on a private members only calendar, but typically it is open most afternoons, every evening and all weekend, but it does depend. Once you have been a member for a bit and get to know the community you can request shutter access, with 2 other shutter members vouching for you, you will then have 24x7 access to the Space, so won’t have to worry about when it is open.

Some tools require a safety induction so note you won’t be able to use everything on day 1.

Here is a brief summary of the areas:
https://southlondonmakerspace.org/about/

Here is a list of most of the tools we have:

Best if you come to the next Open Evening and see how it works and decide it it is right for you given the long commute…

Hope that helps!
Cheers,
Andy

4 Likes

Thanks Andy. I will sign up. Thanks for the quick response. I already have my own workspace in an arts charity space. Although it’s substantially discounted, it’s still a fair amount of money for me. However, I am not meeting people and I would like to learn from others and just be able to bounce stuff off people. Although amount isn’t huge, it does add up if you don’t have a regular income like me. So, I was trying work if travelling all the way would make sense. Thanks, hopefully see you soon.

1 Like

Cool, not a problem! See you at the Space!

Cheers,
Andy