Waste pile out the front

There is a huge pile of waste out the front of Makerspace right now.

It’s compounded by the fact that cars keep are permanently parked in front of the garden now.

It appears to be a combination of Quantum not collecting our rubbish again, and people putting this onto the pile without a bag.

There also appears to be no clear bags around.

Can anyone confirm if that sawdust is safe for burning? Would like to use it for a diy kiln

It depends on the type of wood in there…

Assume not - the majority of woods used in the woodshop are composites so they are full of glue - MDF in particular is super nasty when burnt. If you want ‘clean’ sawdust, ask around for someone using the thickness planer - it will produce good size chips/dust and we only put good wood through it.

The lathe also produces lots of good wood…pop by after any lathe induction, or leave a signed bucket with a lid near the lathe and sure lathe users be happy to sweep their wood in it

I would reckon it’d be fine as long as you aren’t cooking over it/ venting the fumes into a building - mdf may emit harmful things when burnt but so does everything else…

Hmm thanks for all the responses. I guess i’ll ask around re planer and lathe to br on the safe side.

Cheers

Do you have a specific example of when you or anyone you know specifically arranged quantum to collect rubbish and then this didn’t happen? Can you tell me the details of when you phoned them up for the collection and what you asked the, to collect. Send me the details of this and I will contact them to find out what happened. If that’s not actually the case I’ld ask that you think how you phrase things. We’ve not had a problem with them so far. On the contrary, we’ve been badly organised and not consistent as their customers.

We don’t have ANY problem with quantum collecting our rubbish.

We do have a problem with our internal waste management process.

1. it isn’t clear, documented or finalised
  2. It isn’t end to end - e.g. There are holes in the system that common sense alone aren’t solving. Why is any of our rubbish going outside in bags and not into bins?
  3. Not enough members are engaging in fixing or contributing to the process. Everyone seems to be waiting for someone else to fix it or they don’t come to the space to know it’s an issue.
  4. Or the don’t mind the mess.
  5. We haven’t presented a united front to Quantum when we have contacted them so we are being unorganised flaky customers.
  6. The current directors havent given enough support / backing / time to members who have been trying to engage with the issues positively or even agknowlege this or the surrounding issues.

[quote=“unknowndomain, post:1, topic:7186”] again
[/quote]

There hasn’t been a previous occasion when Quantum haven’t picked up the rubbish they have agreed to collect. It’s just not something that’s happened. We have been unable to arrange collection. But that’s a problem with how we have communicated with them not the quality of their service.

My understanding is that the rubbish is collected by Quantum every Monday from outside the space yet the rubbish has been there more than one week for sure, and maybe two weeks.

I understand that’s how you feel about the relationship, however I do not think that is the reality.

We’ve been actively involved in this conversation. I’m not sure what the issue is that you’re referring to but we have many times acknowledged the bin situation as a problem and derived solutions. Short of the directors taking sole responsibility for taking the bins out on a weekly basis, I’m not sure what more you want done?

I believe that @dermot is going to contact quantum this week to get things straight in words of fractional syllables. A lot of conflation and half facts have surrounded this issue.

I would say it’s got more to do with trust, or that clearly I am not trusted to convey information even after two phone calls with the same answer.

I arranged for them to collect it on the first Monday of the month. Has that changed?

You’ve phoned them twice?
You phoned them for what?
When did you phone them?
What was the conclusion of that conversation?
Has the conclusion of that conversation been update in all the documentation and how tos?
Have the instructions in the space been updated?
Did you consult with other people that where contacting them at the time and work out a united front so that Quantum wouldn’t get confused?

If I don’t know the answers to these questions and I’m these “rubbish” threads how/ why would members that don’t have any idea how to get rid of rubbish.

We need to be much more clearer. That’s all I’ve been saying.

The evidence isn’t not working is all the post about the rubbish.

I’m gonna stop talking about it. And when I get back I’m going to sort it out. @dermot let’s meet before or after you phone them and lets work on a positive solution.

The good news is these solutions are going to be really easy to implement

That would explain it then. I thought it was weekly.

As for your other post you know that I called them twice. Once when you told me to find out the information I was looking for my self, and the second time when you were having a go at me about stuff more recently

1. Why is rubbish in bags outside and not in bins…

The bins are full

We need the number for quantum in a clear place and people need to know how many bags do we need to have to warrant a collection 1, 5, 10?

3 Likes

Monthly pick ups are not enough especially if we are going to use quantum exclusively when we run out of first mile bags

2 Likes

Dermot is sorting this out.

1 Like

“The bins are full”, and “the phone number isn’t clear”.

We are in 100% agreement. That’s all I’m saying. Like these small details aren’t in place. That’s all. No biggy.

So we need to:

• Phone quantum and say we need it weekly
  • update the “how to”
  • print the “how to” and stick it to the bin so it’s absolutely clear to anyone and everyone (members and guest old and new).
  • anything else?

You think I remember things like how many times you phoned someone? That’s sweet :blush::blush::blush:

“Dealing” with the towering pile?

Not sure because I’m not there but, moving waste from the wood workshop to outside the arch isn’t dealing with the mess. It’s fly tipping.

When the bags are put out we need to phone Quatum. Or they re put out on first Monday of the month. Hopefully this we get chaged to every Monday soon.

We have neighbours and they make a lot of effort to keep the estate clean. It’s a consent battle. Some help a lot. Some less. Our contribution to a messy estate is very high at the moment.

I would like to see / make a zone outside where we can put our waste. A stagging post for the waste.

Make it out of bricks From the demolition? Or pallets??

Somewhere obvious where bins and bags go. Less likely to split. Against a wall so they don’t block the bike racks. Blah blah. A sign that says not public waste. There’s issues with conopy customers throughing there food and drink waste away. They want to be helpful and put it next to a bin, but don’t realise we then have to tidy it up. It might be worth us asking canopy to buy another bin to put next to ours. without a lock. Then their customers when looking for a bin, use it. And they canopy can empty it.