Visiting/Interviews for my masters dissertation

Hi!

I was wondering if it might be possible for me to come and visit the South London Makerspace later next week at all and to perhaps interview somebody for my masters dissertation?

I’m at the University of Edinburgh (doing Global Environmental Politics) but I’ve a background as a theatrical prop maker, have always loved making things and am trying to work out whether and how Makerspaces are good sites of pro environmental behaviour and projects, through interviews with both MakerSpaces that have explicit environmental ends, and those that don’t.

If there was someone who wouldn’t mind having a chat (I’ll have some structured interview questions as well, but they shouldn’t take long…) it would be really fantastic - it would be great to include South London Makerspace as a case study. I’m also helping out with expanding the Totnes Share Shop in Devon into a MakerSpace of sorts and would be interested to learn about how the space was set up and how it runs generally.

All the best,

Alice

Hi Alice,

I’m sure someone will be happy to chat to you about Makerspace. I’m not around next week, but would be happy to answer any questions.

We weren’t set up with the intention of being explicitly environmentally friendly, although Makerspaces have many implicit sustainable features around shared use of resources. We’re keen to push further forwards on this.

There’s also a Library of Things near us in Norwood that might be of interest to you.

Hi Dermot,

Thanks very much, perhaps I could have a look around the space when I’m in
London and then Skype you at some point?? I’m on the road a bit and am only
really in London for a short period, though there’s a possibility I’ll be
about on the 19th alternatively if you are around then at all?

Interesting that you are hoping to broaden sustainable practices - MS seem
to have lots of potential in that regard, I’m just trying to work out
if/how it is actually happening in practice!

All the best,

Alice

Open evenings are scheduled every Wednesday night. You should be able to find interview subjects then.

Hi Martin,
It’s looking like I won’t be able to come down to the Makerspace tonight
(one of my interviewees re-arranged!), do you think it would be alright to
come by on Friday instead at all and find people??
All the best,
Alice

There’s no way of telling who will be at the Makerspace and when, unless specific events (like the weekly open evening) are scheduled. You can always come along and see if anyone is there. If the shutters are closed, they aren’t.