[UNRESOLVED] Laser access behaving weirdly

This is a shame.

Sounds like we need to bypass this tool control ASAP, and have an easier bypass for the next iteration just in case.

@Jonathan @jonathanjo @lasertechs we need members to be confident when using the cutter that it will work – some compelling descriptions of the cost of failed cuts in the posts above.

The current system has thrown up useful pointers for the next version, but sounds like it needs to be retired for the moment?

1 Like

As a laser tech I agree.

Unfortunately we cant have this kind of thing happening to people. Tool control on the laser cutter isn’t exactly there for a safety reason and has systems in place already to minimise the risk of injury, therefore I think this needs to be removed ASAP.

At risk of asking a dumb question- if it is not for safety, why are we putting tool control on the laser? Have we had a problem of unauthorised use by new members?

Otherwise solving a problem that doesn’t exist just adds complexity. I apologise in advance if this has been Discoursed to death at some point, send me to the thread to catch up… cheers!

I respectfully disagree with Nico on that point Andy.

Tool control is there for safety, it’s by far the biggest fire risk to Makerspace if operated by someone who doesn’t know what they are doing, for example out of focus cutting, using banned materials could easily start a fire and even trained members sometimes have to be reminded to not leave the laser unattended ever for a second, as the fire can quickly become out of control in the laser cutter (< 20 seconds).

It is probably the most underestimated piece of equipment because it doesn’t have big scary motors with blades attached, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t pose a significant safety risk.

We have measures in place to combat fire, ie fire extinguishers. It is not possible to laser cut a limb for example as the cutter has switches in place that prevent the operation of the system if the lid or doors are open.

True but if a fire does start whilst someone is in the snug there is a chance of them being trapped!

I feel like you’ve presumed that the risk of fire is low, it isn’t and it’s much higher for someone who has never been inducted of correct use.

That’s a whole different issue.

Your presuming I’m presuming, I understand the fire risk associated with the laser cutter.

If this was such a massive issue it shouldn’t have been, (a) positioned where it is to cause entrapment in the snug should it cause a fire (b) even be in use if this was such a serious issue until a tool control system is in place that does not cause issues during use.

I’m not going to say any more because this will just end in an argument.

The issue with tool control has now been resolved and it will work reliably again

Cool, makes sense, glad it is resolved!

1 Like

Not sure if this has been explained elsewhere but does internet access affect the tool control setup on the lasercutter? If internet access drops long enough or at the wrong time will a job in progress fail?

The job will not fail if a job is in progress when the internet fails. Only if you remove your tag will it then after two minutes need to recheck the internet.

The issues with the internet have been resolved. And excluding BTs own planned maintenance and a DOS attack at our ISP there has been no down time since the engineer visited.

Today i cut for about an hour, Then got the same error. I realised i didn’t even put in my fob but laser still worked.

Then for a few times the laser refused to start with fob, lots of flashing green and occasionally a red. I tried all the tips tom gave but nothing helped. Eventually it worked again…

A tool control that works sometimes, and sometimes even without a fob, is awkward.

Secret is that I disconnected tool control yesterday so what ever issue it is having is not related.

Is it still using the relays or did you wire a bypass?

Totally bypassed.

i had simular issues when i tested out the tempery tool control for the table saw.

i initually had 5 sec reads with 2 failed reads, shut the tool down.

in the end i was reading the token every second and killing tool access after 10 consecutive read failures using a countdown register. in operation i was routinly seeing single and double read failures. and occasionally getting 5 consecutive read failures between successful reads.

i use pn532 nfc readers, so your milage would may be different