Ulm Stools

These are two’ Ulm Stools’… !

It’s a project I chose to learn some techniques and because really like the simplicity of the design. The original design is without a drawer and is by Max Bill who taught at the Bauhaus in the 1950’s. He designed it as a multi functional piece for students who could use it alternately as a stool, a table, a shelf (on its side), a book-carrying thing (upside down, using the crossbar as a handle) or a step. I came across it online and decided to give it a go. Over years it looks like its most common application was as a table so people started adding the drawer, so I tried that too.

I chose Yellow Pine for the dramatic grain and also because of the width of the boards (285mm, finished). The feet and wedge in Sapele, for contrast.

The Box Joints are made using a Rockler Jig on the Router Table. A good thing… easy to make but since someone lent me this one…it’s designed for smaller work pieces but just about worked.

5mm was removed from the cross bar on the lathe and then strengthened with a Wedge. (don’t forget a hidden hole, across the piece, drilled to prevent splitting).

I find Routers a bit nerve wracking (all that screeching) so went for the rest by hand.

It’s riddled with mistakes of course. Tearout on the box joints (even when the router table cut is backed with MDF - any tips?). A hole in drawer which was left in and plugged. Glue-up was super stressful as it moved out of shape but after much dismantling, swearing, and redoing of the clamps it came together OK. There was a lot of swearing but I think it helped…

…So did the advice from may of you… many thanks for that!

11 Likes

This is stunning Boz. I like the simplicity of the design and how it heroes the wood grain, which is beautiful. Giles created his Nicholson from the same timber, the contrast between the face grain and the end grain is magical.

They look great! I have the same jig for box joints and also had problems with tear out. At the time I put it down to the wood I was using, which was splintery. I think it was yellow balau. I need to do more tests but yeah if you find any good fixes… Were your sacrificial MDF pieces secured well enough?

A backing piece is fixed onto the jig - after seeing the results I held a second backing piece by hand that moved with the workpiece so cutting both workpiece and backing piece with each cut. That made a difference but didn’t eliminate tearout completely.

1 Like

Were you using your own router bit or one of the space’s? I think ours are a bit dull.

It looks absolutely amazing by the way. Love the face/edge grain at the joints.

1 Like

Hi Boz,

We are starting to look at our content inclusion for the Dulwich festival Maker fair we have a “Don’t be Shy! submit your Make” event happening on Friday. Would this be of any interest to you maybe and/or do you know anyone else I can reach out too?

Cheers
Dorine