Spray painting in the space

Any issue with using spray paint in the messy space? Have some picture frames I’d like to spray up, but obviously don’t want to kill everyone with fumes!

Go in the spray wash booth with the extractor running.

might want to wear at least a fine particle mask even with extract running

Indeed. To be a bit legal about it: the terms of our lease prohibit solvent based spraying anywhere EXCEPT in the spray booth.

That the bit with the sink in it and the plastic dangly door thingy?

Yep. Turn the extract on as if you were going to use the laser cutter.

Dusk masks won’t give any protection to the vapour

Even FFP3?

It’s not the best but they do protect against aerosols

I would suggest using these as they protect against organic vapours:

1 Like

That’s what I meant by ‘at least’

1 Like

This needs an objective risk assessment.

Spraying outside, away from vehicles is a better option, but you get dust and gusts of wind.

So for this to happen I suggest that you must wear the appropriate level of respiratory protection, and that not being optional. Check the aerosol (s)/applicator and paints, and get something suitable. It might be FFP3, but I don’t have the time now to check it out. So that’s up to you or go for the linked ones.

@Dermot it’s cool. I’ll do it in my garden. Just wondered if the extraction in the messy room was decent enough to do in there where it’s warm and there’s a coffee machine!

At least we now know that spraying inside is more than likely a ‘no’.

If we can ensure the risks are low enough it will be a YES!

So maybe we look at this properly. I’d love us to have proper spraying facilities…and if the wash down booth could double as this it would be excellent. My understanding is it’s way underpowered for suction? @pip?

IIRC, there was once a scheme to have a switchable divert from the laser extract to a desktop spray booth

I have used solvents in messy side if you open the end of the duct there’s not a problem.

O what a big fan I found. :grinning:

Just wondering if the extraction works in the spray wash booth still ?

I’m planning on buying this

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tools/d40/Spray+Painting/sd3290

Then I’d like to test it by spraying a few mdf panels with water based paint in the booth. I’ll cover everything in there with a polythene sheet before I spray.

Opinions gladly received

It’s not a spray booth. I think it’s worth emphasising this, it’s a wash station for the screen printing area. The drains are in no way equipped to handle solvent based paint and there isn’t proper ventilation set up for it either.

This same question gets asked every couple months, and it has clearly been used by people for spraying, so maybe we need to put a sign up of what this room is for?

Hi thanks for the replies.

After reading a few threads I called it a “spray wash” booth. It seems people have used it for a multitude of activities and so I just wanted to confirm that I’d like to use it for painting.

I will use the extraction system (as I’ve read that it works) and will be conscious that if there seems to be excessive overspray which escapes the curtain then I would cease spraying. I’m sure the tool that I’m buying produces minimal overspray so this shouldn’t be a problem. I’m also using water based paint which is safer.

If there is a rule stating categorically no painting then I will obviously not paint.