Shutter Access - use it or lose it (a proposal)

I think this is the real issue here! @dermot started a “space induction” which never took off.

Maybe it is down to the techs to talk to the members who are using their areas and allow these techs to have unlimited vouches for these members. Along with the responsibility of showing them what needs to be done when opening/locking up.

The techs are the regular faces in the space and are normally doing things for their respective areas rather than working in their own projects and seem ideally placed to push this forward.

2 Likes

I disagree - quite strongly. Someone who comes in just to use it as might a commercial operation isn’t lifting a finger for others. They just come in, use the machine and go. In effect they are freeloading and have no care about being considerate, fair and reasonable. Those are qualities that make the space work. Let’s not lower that bar.

I like this idea

The rules are pretty clear:
https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/how-to-get-shutter-access/21084

It has been 2 vouches (or equivalent) for a long time (well before the pandemic) like 2017-2018.

It does not have to be open evening hosting, that is just a suggestion (from the rules)…

You should usually have help host two Open Evenings or contributed to the space in a similar capacity. This can be done in many different ways and the main aim is to show your commitment to our community

References to requiring hosting open evening to get shutter go back to 2017-2018:

Discussion at Jan 2018 members meeting:
https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/members-meeting-notes-30th-january-2018/8868

Suggestion to require shutter holders to host open evenings:
https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/open-evening-hosts-always-needed/1091/926

2018 - expectation for open evening hosting or equivalent:
https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/requesting-shutter-access-please/9938/3

2019 - expectation for 2 open evenings or equivalent:

2019 one vouch per month is introduced:
https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/members-meeting-notes-2-9-19-makerspace-2-0-special/14375

Hope that helps - Not that we shouldn’t change it, but it isn’t new…

3 Likes

We will be having an upcoming Techs meeting. I shall put it forward that we could populate a big list of things to do around the space. (I believe there was one that is now a bit defunct.) The techs could populate that with things for each area where we need some more support. Should give people chances to help with infrastructure or general sorting/organisational tasks. Either way give people some opportunities to help out other than open evenings.

3 Likes

Enthusiasm for setting up administrative structures is always higher than for participating in them :smiley:

3 Likes

Something like a space induction would be good. If there is a techs meeting, maybe have an opportunity for new members to come and meet the techs - and others, such as former directors or regulars. They can get guidance, pointers on ways they might contribute, we get to know them in person, the skills and experience they may have etc. It might be one evening a month or every two months. It needn’t be all the techs, but good if different areas are covered.

‘Water cooler meetings’ are often more effective- get people together in a semi social setting and things come out of that. If there’s community pizza or cake, even better.

Thanks. I did search bus Discord search isn’t great.

We are missing the point here now.
Problem:-
We have 515 members
We have only 63 that can open the space.
We are not providing a good enough service for our membership. With 500+ members the question “will there be anyone to open The space” should never arise . At least between 10:00 to 22:00

Volunteering and open evenings was a good solution when we had 200 members, maybe not so good now!
Woodwork, 3d printing, laser, textiles, electronics are all running pretty smoothly now with metalwork, pottery and screenprinting the only areas that maybe need help.

Solution required:-
More key holders with shutter access.

@unknowndomain has a good point this needs to be brought up at the next members meeting.
So:-
We need a date for the next members meeting asap @directors

3 Likes

There’s a lot more that could be done to contribute. Toolpages need work. Screws could be sorted. Component drawers need labels. It would be good to have a drag knife - maybe a new member interested in metalworking might take that on as a project. There’s lots to do on IT and systems. Another project might be humidity and temperature logging using rpi and sensor with updates posted on Google sheets, or modding a dehumidifier. There’s funding applications that might be made. Someone with CAD skills might host an evening to support learners with their projects. Someone could design and 3d print z clamps for the CNC. Or build a z probe for it. Or build a printhead to make the CNC a large format printer. They don’t need all the skills - they could get help from others, but they would be looking after a project for the space and working with others to get it delivered.

You are missing the point! We need more key holders to give service and value to our membership.

You could argue that being a key holder with shutter access is a valid contribution on its own, as this keeps the space open and accessible.

3 Likes

I think Mark’s point is very valid that the problem we are trying to fix is to keep the space open as much as possible. Getting more key holders is a solution to the problem, not the problem itself. So we should prioritise changes that would get the space open more, whilst maintaining the appropriate level of confidence in individual keyholders.

Eg. on other recent threads people have suggested we want more keyholders who can open the space in the early weekday morning. For these folks it may be harder to demonstrate community involvement via volunteering activities that often take place in groups in the evenings/weekends. We should keep things like this in mind and optimise for what we actually want.

• Dan’s suggested projects are good solo-efforts for community contribution, for example.
  • Reducing the requirement would also help, if its something people are comfortable with, particularly for folks who can make a commitment to opening at needed times.
3 Likes

Not so accessible if don’t host sessions and new members are still asking if anyone will be in.

So part of contributing is by hosting- why not ask those wanting SA to commit to hosting 40 hours or so.

And even if there’s no contribution, with only 1 vouch per month and 60 who can vouch, and many not vouching at all or very rarely, we aren’t going to make a dent. The rule on only 1 vouch per month has to change. Techs should have 5 or 10. And unused vouch can be carried over. It’s not just about shutter access. New members can and have sometimes very quickly become a great asset to the space. A key value of some equivalent contribution is that it fosters that. It’s about valuing those values.

Nothing I saw in the rules Andy linked says 1 vouch per month.

I think the point is that members who are happy are more likely to contribute than those who are paying and getting restricted use when it suits the 63.

Anyway, this is a classic example of something better discussed in person.

This has basically circled back around to the start…

Getting more people to have shutter is great, but if they don’t tell people when they are going to be in and for how long it helps them tremendously, but only helps the others so much.

Ie. It’s great that someone might open early tomorrow, but if I live an hour away and there is no booking how would I know to turn up?

Unless I guess there is critical mass and the place is just open almost all the time? I dunno…

Another issue is that tool bookings are tied to Space bookings, so basically non-shutter members are at a significant disadvantage on booking tools…

I wish I had the answer…
hmm…

As per 2019 meeting Andy linked to: https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/members-meeting-notes-2-9-19-makerspace-2-0-special/14375

• From now on members can vouch for 1 person per calendar month - share the love. Reduces the burden on Jonty & Petra, and encourages more members to make connections – we want more members to know more members!
  • Robin queried if hosting an open evening is still required for shutter access - Dermot confirmed it was, but negotiable for “equivalent contribution” to the Space

*the meeting was strongly in favour of this.

Yes! Hmmmm!

One way might be to attempt to be a bit more structured (like most other Makerspaces) - we could aim to have some set times when we are open - perhaps 3 mornings and 3 evenings during weekdays. We ask people to host those slots. Some might be able to regularly cover a slot. Maybe we ask all members with SA to host at least 5 slots - not too much to request given that 500 members are paying subs. Maybe should sound out if people would be willing to volunteer for that.

We had this before with far fewer members