Sawdust

We emptied the extractor on Sunday and I offered next door the sawdust thus evening, which they declined (apparently we outstrip their demand).
Just to confirm, does this go in the black bags or is there a preferred alternative? Don’t want to fill five bags with waste we can dispose of cheaply…

1 Like

It would be black bags but please remember it’s not a case of how much you can cram into the bag, they have a 5KG limit.

We didn’t cram them too much - I would say they’re all below that. They’re currently in black bin liners by the wheelie bins - if someone can put them into the correct bags tomorrow great, otherwise I will do it Wednesday evening when I’m down there.

1 Like

We have clear bags for sawdust and timber. I think the limit is 10kg…I’ll check. EDIT: yep, 10kg.

They’re stored in the kitchen. They’re a bit thin. You might need to double them up.

Put out in the garden and collected by Quantum waste – we message them when we have waste, though sometimes the guy comes round and checks as he does a daily collection in Herne Hill.

I think we are out of clear bags.
Also one of the ones outside has split.

Can we whatsapp for more bags? Or just collection.

WhatsApp just for collection…we’ve only had about 12 bags collected. Though maybe they got used for runs to the tip? @woodtechs?

The only requirement for bags is that they are transparent so they can see what’s in then. The ones we got were very flimsy

Are there any other uses we can find for the sawdust? A quick google search throws up a few possibilities.

Mixing it with candle wax and setting in small moulds to create firelighter briquettes for open fires/bbqs. Could start a little side-business to bring funds into SLMS whilst being eco-friendly? Maybe pet shops could use it for animal bedding?

Not sure how feasible this is if there’s MDF or similar contained within the dust, but worth seeing if we can use the dust elsewhere other than it ending up in landfill.

Sawdust from the extract goes next door to the mechanics

Apparently we’re producing more than they need on this occasion.

1 Like

Yes. For clarity: with First mile (main waste and recycling) we pay in advance by buying their branded bags (just over £1 each). For sawdust and wood we buy the bags and get charged for how many are collected – unless mechanics are taking the sawdust?

These should be more durable:
http://www.binlinersdirect.com/clear-compactor-sack-22x33x47-20kg-220g

“they dont want any any more” - @CriticalTolerance

Just to be clear - they said they have enough. They might take some more in a couple of months I suppose.

i got as far as the shopping basket…

thats £32 (inc) vat for 100 bags.

…are we sure?

It’s not up to me but thats 32p a bag… Seems pretty reasonable for extra thick ones, however you can shop around…

If @woodtechs deem them suitable then I’ll order them direct with the makerspace card

2 Likes

Those are better but just below rubble sack standard ( starts about 250 gauge )

They will be fine for sawdust but these would be better for the wood waste

http://www.plasticbagsuppliers.co.uk/20-x-30-500-gauge-clear-rubble-sack-250-pack.html

Slightly smaller but 500 gauge and the same price, But need to buy 250 at a time

Are they big enough, a lot of rubble sacks in the past were too small to fit stuff in.

Just give me a shopping list :slight_smile: