Returning member

Hi again everyone and hi to those who’ve joined since I left about seven years ago. My mother was ailing then, so I went to stay with her and thereby prevented her going into a home - something she really dreaded. She died a couple of years ago and I returned to my house in Tulse Hill after taking a while to sort out her estate. I immediately applied to re-join SLMS, and am now delighted to have become a new member, though perhaps I should be counted as an old member!

Seven years ago there wasn’t much opportunity to actually use the makerspace for personal projects because it was the makerspace itself that was in the make. Imagine my dismay, upon attending a recent open evening, to find that it looked like it was again going to be ‘all hands to the pumps’ in the commissioning of Arch 2. Fortunately I was wrong there, though I do have some time to get involved in helping to make the extension as amazing as what we already have.

I was languishing a bit after my mum died, and procrastinating when it came to restoring my home workshop. Now, it seems, there’s no need and I’m elated at what the SLMS workshops have to offer. To have use of the facilities available for 75p per day (with even sandpaper provided) Is surely close to heaven on earth!

I want to make small things out of wood, though my professional background is in electronics, software development and quality assurance.

6 Likes

Hi Matthew. Welcome (back)!

Lots of tools may have changed, and the induction and tool access process too.
Take a look at the following if you haven’t already been directed there: New Member Information!

If you were already inducted, you may want to ask the relevant techs for a refresher.

Looking forward to meeting you in the space!

Welcome back.

I am probably going to have to go and look after my mother in her autumn years as well. If you feel the need to help with arch to to have a look at my thread

Welcome back! The space is wayy more usable now, but there will always be stuff to do as well! :wink: see you soon

Nice meeting you yesterday!