Proposed (Confirmed!) event: Time to Talk Day Thursday 2nd February 2017

Yes, as @Beth says there’s games and a quiz too. And tea and scones. And a chillout area. And a few people talking for 5-10 mins or so about the positive things they have gained through their experiences.

Everyone is invited (not just members). Time is from 5-9 Thurs 2nd Feb.

That day is a national ‘Time to Talk’ day set up by Mind http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/

They’re the main things but see how they fit to the mailshot. The most important thing is obviously Time to Talk :slight_smile:

Well worded, no changes or inclusions, it’s organic and well explained. Good job Dermot.

Updated. Can’t see the text Dermot wrote 'cos Facebook, but anyhoo this is what it is.

slms-poster-2017-timetotalk.pdf (479.4 KB)

(Incidentally, that brandstamp website is new to me, and basically something I’ve been wanting to make for years. Hmm…)

1 Like

Great flyer Toby!

Update document about the event attached for your perusal. Any thoughts and/or changes just cite the relevant number in response. All input and involvement soon as please … :slight_smile:

Time to Talk.docx (16.3 KB)

Hello @members, am sending this to everyone cus all of us need to chat about mental health.

Thursday 2nd February 2017, South London Maker Space are hosting an evening for members and anyone else who would like to come. It’s ‘Time to Talk Day’ an initiative set up by Time to Change
http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/ I think this is verygood.com :slight_smile:

Here’s the proposal, it’s organic and over the next couple of weeks it will change with your input and coming along to the evening is the same input.

Any thoughts and/or changes just cite the relevant numbers below in response.

We are lucky to have this opportunity cus most of us say nothing at all to anyone of the hard mind ships that we go through which is ridiculous because it’s how it is in many lives. World over. ‘Time to Change’ have offered a day to chat and are very good at what they do so we may as well at least respect their work and at most make the best of their qualities.

1. At 5pm there is Tea ‘n’ Scones to welcome people, offered throughout the evening till they run out. ‘Make yourself toast ’n’ drinks’ available all evening.
    1.1. Toaster, scones, jam etc. and the rest Jackie will bring. Any bakers or jam makers?
    1.2. We probably need a few more plates and cups – bring a couple & take them home after?

2. Dermot can be at the space at 4pm, Jackie same time ish.
    2.1. Anyone else who can be there to help set up for 5pm?

3. Computers set up in Maker Space.
    3.1. There is 1 desktop computer in the space. I have a laptop to bring and I guess 4 others are needed.
    3.2. Who would like to bring theirs?
    3.3. Mix of usb cables for phones, please bring yours along which should cover all brands?

4. Beth is doing ‘Pass the parcel of Chat’, a fun way to start conversations for 3mins between people.

5. Peter is doing a ‘Quiz’ about any and everything we do and don’t know about mental health.

6. A Quite space is planned for the social area with calming music.
    6.1. A laptop attached to the tv with youtube on a running loop is suggested.
    6.2. Who would like to set this up and keep an eye on it?

7. Breathing exercises are essential to calm, we have a great video from Chanelle to watch.
    7.1. This should be shown on the tv every half hour. Breathing techniques are that important.
    7.2. After seeing the video to practice it together.
    7.3. Who would like to help with this?

8. CD’s: I have a Kings College relaxation & sleep technique that truly works. I’d like to give copies away, any blank cd’s about?

9. Phone Apps: there are too many out there. We’ve looked at some of the better ones. Computer and laptops open all evening to see them and to sign up to.
    9.1. Any apps that you find good or know about?

10. Websites: as above.
    10.1. Any sites that you find good or know about?

11. Talks: this is nothing more than a loud chat for 5-10 mins, no pressure:
    11.1. Sarah has said she would like to.
    11.2. Anybody else?

12. Demonstrations: Electronics / silk screen / 3d printing / laser cutter / wood lathe?

13. Info: I’ve noted some signposts, will post for your additions and print before the event for takeaway.

14. Other: What’s missing from this, what have I left out? What would you like to add?

15. Workshop Tour: One at 8/8.30 to round the evening off positively?

What do you think?

Heehee, didn’t know till I looked but obviously I feel passionate this as I’ve copied and pasted twice!:slight_smile:

Edit your post then! You risk turning people off if it’s so long.

Ok! !!!

I got an email from a nice lady called Lucy from CALM today. I’d asked for some CALMzines and mentioned about our event. She said:

“I will happily send those CALMzines out. I will also send you a bunch of things for your event on Feb 2nd too. This sounds great! What a fantastic thing to do. Do let us know how it goes. Send us any photos that we can put up on social media. Would you like me to share anything in the meantime?”

@events @marketing , would we like her to share anything? Should we take some pictures?

1 Like

We should get the mailshot + main website blog post done, then there’s a webpage to link to.

On photos, what were you thinking? A general isn’t Makerspace pretty shot?

Erm yeah I guess so. And then maybe pictures on the day or afterwards of some of the stuff made or food eaten or general goings on etc.

@jan_evetts ?

I ordered some tip cards that have arrived. They fold up and fit in your wallet. I have left the packs on top of the makerspace leaflets.

4 Likes

Here’s the Time to Talk.

@Beth is making the ‘Parcel Game’. Also some information about makers and artists who have lived or are living with a mental health disorder and will display some pictures of their work.

@Dermot Thank you for supporting this. Good leadership. Can you be the manager for the evening, a point of contact to both delegate and help?

@unknowndomain. Man Shed is important. Can you bring some info to share?

@andrew_d you volunteer for mental health, help to organize and run regular groups, your rich experience is welcomed. Would you like to do a talk? How would you like to share your knowledge?
@Courty fully endorses this superb cause and would like to help. Meeting n Greeting, perhaps a demo?
@tobyspark Toby Spark will be there taking photos and documenting the evening. He will take care to ask permission to publish any media from the evening.
@jonathanjo thanks for your words. Hope you will come to the evening and do bring any experience you have.
@barrylillis good to hear you like the idea. Hope you will be there and please bring anything you would like to offer to the evening.
@cibelesoaresalvareng arts & crafts and silk screen printing are your skills and you’d like to host a session, Chanelle would like to host a session with you.
@StudioNelle you would like to host an art session with Cibele, great idea. Your skills are in arts & crafts and you run your own business. You’re passionate about mental health.
@tomnewsom you say your wife who is a mental health professional might come along?
@Kai_McGibbon good to hear you’ll be there. Bring your experience and to help out, can you set the laptop to tv in the social area with youtube or similar calming music on a loop?
@Esther_Gladstone your working experience brings a bounty, so your words are important. What have you found that works best with your clients?
@Kostas you wanted to come to the first meeting (which didn’t fully happen!), so I hope that you will come to the evening. Perhaps you can work with @Kai_McGibbon to manage the social area.
@lewisss hope to see you on the evening, perhaps you could do an electronics/other demo?
@peter_hellyer Dermot suggested you for a talk and as a doctor, you can explain how our brain and body changes because of depression? You are hosting the quiz. Hopefully you will bring a Samaritan representative for the evening too.
@pip I hope that yes means you’ll be there. Your experience adds positivity to the evening, as always. Perhaps you could do an electronics/other demo?
@Techfolderkites, Zac, your experience and research brings another angle, that’s a good thing, looking forward to seeing you on the evening.
@dsikar no doubt you will bring good things. Your guitar?
@sarahj: You would like to talk about mindfulness because the course you did was helpful. What is mindfulness, how does it work?

@directors – can the budget support scones & biscuits, couple of hundred quid should do it?

A rough timetable for the evening:
• 4-5pm. setting up for the evening – come early as you can to help. Bring your laptop and phone usb.
• 5. Open the evening - greeting n meeting, tea n scones, tour of the space.
• 6. 1st game.
• 6.30. 1st talk.
• 7. 2nd game.
• 7.30. 2nd talk.
• 8.30 demos.
• 9. Close the evening, checking that everyone is well, info to take away.

Please work together to organise yourselves for demos and talks. Talks for 10-15 mins I think, demos perhaps need longer. Remember that both can happen at the same time, our guests and members can choose between what is happening.

Please send your agreed times back to allow the timetable gather together well.

For all events, there will be a shout out from Dermot.

It’s organic but we all have common sense and know or can see what needs doing on the night to bring it together well.

Am very proud of Maker Space for hosting this evening, Thank You.

1 Like

I don’t think I agreed to host anything, if I did apologies - I won’t be attending this event.

Gosh, why not? you said you would like to host art with Cibele. Perhaps chat on email?

"@andrew_d you volunteer for mental health, help to organize and run regular groups, your rich experience is welcomed. Would you like to do a talk? How would you like to share your knowledge?"
I am afraid I won’t be attending this event either. I have a lecture to attend on Thursday evenings.

Its great you have put so much effort into this plan. Just to ask how many people are we expecting? Looks like a lot of things going on that we didn’t plan at the meeting and possiby also a lot of scones.

Hi Jackie,

I think that was some months ago, and when I reviewed the meeting notes I didn’t notice a mention of a creative activity so assumed it was no longer happening. Due to personal circumstances I’m not able to attend.

Looks like there is fair amount of activities taking place so I’m sure it will be a great event.