Proposed (Confirmed!) event: Time to Talk Day Thursday 2nd February 2017

I’m happy to help on the day, sorry I was intended to come to the meeting last week but had a lot of problems that day!. I saw that you mentioned about what to do if people came in in crisis. It’s a routine part of my day job supporting and risk assessing people in mental health crises and I am happy to direct people to / call on appropriate support if they do appear in crisis On the Time to Talk day.

Also feel free to let me know if there are things you would like me to do to prepare for the day in meantime.

2 Likes

Hi Esther, that’s great to see that you are getting involved.

Your experience as part of a mental health team will be invaluable on the day. Do you work for SLaM?

As we’re in their catchment area, I’ve gathered all the relevant info and will print out.

Ah, now I understand what Dermot meant. Thanks. I’ll get something done later tonight.

Sorry I also can’t make any of those dates

@jackiekeane it’d be grea tto have a summary of what’s already been covered in the last two days! I was hoping to come along and get involved tonight, but unsure if I’ll be helpful or not if things are already up and running / saturated? :slight_smile:

Hi Kai, Great to hear from you! Really happy to hear that you want to be involved and the more people the better without a doubt. Anything you bring to Time to Talk is important and relevant to the day.

Don’t worry, no major meetings have happened since the 1st one a week or so ago.Time to Talk is being formed so there’s lots you can get involved with. It’s running but not saturated at all because people can collaborate together with their knowledge and experience.

Am working on the update now, been busy but it’s good to hear from you, so I will do this tonight rather than tomorrow!

Thanks Kai, look forward to meeting you.

Zac, my camera on my Samsung s7 (which is the most stressful phone I’ve ever had, involving heart palpations), (want to sell it and buy a Nokia 950) has, just like apple do, reorganised all my photos & music and I do not have the photo of your relevant’ apps’ now even though they were there a week ago!

So sorry, seems tech has taken over. Am good at my gadgets so it makes no sense.

It’s good to have quality, well researched, positive apps to offer at Time to Talk which we agree is a great resource.

It’s interesting that when I went to sign up for some of the apps I remember from your list and from 1 that I know, I have to go through google or iTunes to set them up. I forgot that! I don’t like that because there is not enough choice and I have to give them everything I know and do. Without being paranoid this includes my family and their kids and the kids I look after at my art group, which is my prime concern.

However, that’s how things are so I will sign up. I always move carefully unless it involves bad dancing :slight_smile:

Have you discovered things in apps you already know or have signed up to since we met? That’s the experience you bring to Time to Talk as well as what you’re up to in the electronic world and the other things that you do.

What are the apps that you recommend that move mental health forward in the best way forward? For all of us.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9uN1bqjqm2OdUhwVUJiUFdZc00

That link above should get you to the photos.

No one app has changed my life. There is a growing interest in online CBT and journalling the quantified self, personally anything that is different from same old patterns is good for regrowth

Breathe Well looks promising :slight_smile:

Thanks Zac, lovely to hear from you! Questioning your knowledge: -

What apps have you used?
What apps do you use as a result of experience?
Which are the most helpful? Why?
What are the least helpful and why?

CBT is a quality tool that should be given to everyone, I think it should be taught in schools to every kid. What apps have you found for cbt?

Journaling is always good. Forever. It’s creativity, expression, truth, honesty, art, joy, life described is always a work of art. A release of difficult emotions, a description of what you see is blessed relief. The more you do in your journals, the more you see, the more you learn - it Opens.

Tired of it. Burn it and star another one!

The very good thing in the World right now is the fact that mental health is on topic! Those with living experience can now be or begin to open and speak or write or make art about their experiences of life lived in a different way to what is every and anything but the status quo.

How Wonder Full is that! I think that anyone who has

Hi Jackie. I work in homelessness so while I am not part of SLaM, we do work with a lot of SLaM clients. It’s great that you have got their resources, and i can also bring some materials if helpful.

I attended this course last year and found it incredibly helpful. I was referred by a consulatant at Kings but you can also self refer. I’d be happy to come to the event & talk about my experience of it.

https://slam-iapt.nhs.uk/southwark/sw-therapy-options/groups-and-courses/mindfulness-based-stress-reduction/

2 Likes

I’ve made a FB event for this. It seems a simple solution that we can easily link to from other social media.

Have a look and let me know what else we should include or change.

When we’re happy I’ll do a cut down version for the Time to Change website so it can be linked to the national event

1 Like

Will send list update tomorrow so we can get together to put the day in motion :slight_smile:

I attended an art app course in a community for mental well-being. They had completed one app the previous year which was an interesting blend of guided meditation and exploring the streets playfully with a children’s eyes. On the course we learned about schizo-cartography, many different maps and interpretations of maps in many different ways. It was a fascinating project. I was introduced to an app that pairs you with another person and your tour starts at at Paul’s cathedral, suddenly feels like you are a character in someone elses story, highly immersive yet just uses maps, location and an audio track. I will try and find out the name of them, can’t remember at this point.

Sounds like a tour round a gallery in a way, where you learn about art. I love the idea of ‘a playful way’.

I would rather take away words, terms and meanings that have ‘schizo’ in them though, there is more than enough prejudice and bias towards people who experience the various forms of this in their mental health journeys. For me, that doesn’t help or change things positively.

I really like the idea of meeting other people to explore London. St Paul’s and the bridge that leads to the Tate Modern is fab. I’ve done all the ‘Green Link Walks’ and the ‘Jubilee’ ones in London. So good to do.

Hi Sarah, just read about this course you posted. Quality!

You have to, please do, talk about your experience to let other people know the positive aspects that you gained. Talking, therapy that proves it works and learning how to use those ways taught make a difference, usually impactful.

The best thing about ‘Time to Talk’ in Maker Space so far, for me, is the wealth of experience I am hearing and hope to learn from other members. Without a doubt all of our pooled resources are a good thing.

Sarah, can you bake scones? Being cheeky, seeing as we’re starting with tea n scones, some homemade ones would be lovely. No pressure honestly, not at all, have organised them locally but if you’re in the mood…:slight_smile:

Poster. @StudioNelle @jackiekeane @Dermot This ok? I’m thinking you partner this with what you’ve already downloaded (probably the Time to Talk Day is Coming Poster?)

slms-poster-2017-timetotalk.pdf (479.0 KB)

Banner for mailshot. @jan_evetts Could you recreate the poster as a mailshot? Clone the mailshot I made for the Christmas party, which should give you the layout + formatting.

Fair enough about the language, I fully understand that it does get painful when overused/ misused. The mapping basically celebrates the social aspects of mixed realities.

There’s games and a quiz too!