Proposed (Confirmed!) event: Time to Talk Day Thursday 2nd February 2017

Beth, a demo of the wood lathe? Honestly, you’re a bitgoodatthis.com!

If the people demand it…

Can it be made into an induction? :smiling_imp:

1. @dsikar

I’ll do a seperate induction. Let me just sort out my diary and I’ll put some more dates up.

1 Like

That’d be great Beth!

Am not going to sign up to the demo. I’ve done the induction and hacked a piece of wood to bits! Shocking behaviour.

I like Daniel’s purple smiley thing idea of an induction but don’t be getting ideas, it has to be without pressure on you, I know you’re working that day. You know yourself and what’s best for you.

I am one people and demand it!

Ok well we will see how the evening goes if it seems like making something on the lathe would be good we can do it but we will see what happens on the day/ if it fits in. Lathe induction will be on a different day completely - it takes 2 hours, can only be done in small groups and I think there are plenty of other nights this can be done on instead of during an event.

Beth, I was being cheeky and flippant! Totally ignore what I said cus it doesn’t make sense at all. The idea is ‘no pressure’. Honestly I can’t understand my own communication at times.

1 Like

+1

1 Like

During the meeting I volunteered to:

• ask the @tech areas to think if they have anything they’d like to contribute to the event (consider it done, here? But will follow up!)

• transforming social area into a ‘calm zone’, perhaps having a ‘jukebox’ of relaxing music. Anyone who want’s to get involved or has any ideas please let me know.

• I’ll be there from 4pm on the day to get ready for 5pm opening.

Other notes and action points from the meeting, in no particular order:

• we agreed that the event would be open to the wider public, not just members, and that we’d encourage local involvement
  • we suggested trying to contact artists/makers with MH issues to see if they’d support, visit, give brief talks (?). suggested reaching out via FB/Twitter. Wondered generally about guest speakers.
  • we wondered how we could utilise the blackboards for visitors to write relevant things on (embryonic idea. But could just be a word that sums up experience of MH, for example)
  • suggested videos of members making things. If there’s time and an enthusiasm for doing this
  • Food was mentioned as a periodical feature of the evening: ‘Tea and toast at 5:30’, ‘Pete’s Specialty Scones at 7pm’. For example only, we are looking for suggestions!!!
  • egg timer needed(for Beth’s pass the parcel)
  • We discussed the chance of what to do if guests arrive in state of crisis, or exhibiting behaviour which beyond our capacity to handle.
  • discussed briefing/agreeing on ground rules for engaging with guests. ‘Common sense’ was agreed on: general positive language, everything said is in confidence, with the standard practice of not probing people for information, but if they volunteer personal stories then go with it.
  • contact Samaritans for a representative - Pete to action
  • We need social media coverage, flyers (digital?) and posters! One-week print deadline to give us time to see if we can get guest speakers. Need someone to take this on.
  • Games and activities: Mental health quiz. -Pete to action! Prizes? Open to suggestions
  • An activity based around our supply of Bare Conductive ink/paint? Someone needs to develop this idea.
  • Contact C.A.L.M for magazines?

As has been said: a productive meeting. We may shrink back from some of this, we may expand other areas, but a great start and wide open for anyone who would like to be involved to contribute greatly.

1 Like

It sounds like there is already lots going on. I used this video at similar event to get old clients interact with the art of silence. We choose the word breath to make a embroidered badge as a reminder to breath when things feel chaotic. The activity itself is good mindful activity.

In terms of how to manage those in a state of crisis. It might be an idea to invite the local floating support team or obtain leaflets that detail how they can assist or support people at different points of crisis. The local service is covered by my old work place, so happy to make contact to see if they would like to attend or provide leaflets for the difference services they provide.

2 Likes

It’s Okay I can join the conversation at this point. You took good notes during our conversation tonight as well. Speak soon.

Giving this a bump.

Urgent actions:

What text should the poster have? Any imagery to use?

@StudioNelle printed some posters. I think they were from the PDF. So possibly not designed to be edited? But a starting point.

Our words…?

I’m a bit confused.

It’s a download from: https://timetochange.brandstencil.com/resources/live-create

There is also banners for social media.

If you go to the link and click poster you can amend it to add organisation details. I actually can’t find the poster with full details anymore.

I’ve been working in the background, will post in the next couple of days.

The outcome from the meeting last week was to invite members and everybody else. Time agreed is 5-9.

Words (off the top of my lovely head):

‘We need to talk about mental health, it’s true’.
‘How good it is to share, it really is Time to Talk’.
‘Maker Space are having ‘afternoon tea’ between 5-6, proper scones n a cuppa’.
‘Maker Space invite people to a positive chat about mental health where we can swap good ideas about how to look after ourselves and others well’.
‘It’s important to chat about the good ways we know that make a difference to feeling better’.
‘I think everyday about what I can do, it’s better than feeling that I can’t’.
‘I take my phone for a walk and take photos’.

Edit freely Toby. There are lots of words on the link and printouts that Chanelle gave us too, all good. Any other words folks?

The idea is a positive chat about mental health. Free and open and companionable. To kindly share our knowledge and experiences with compassion and care and to gain together the many ways there are to enable mental health.

There are so many, that’s the thing, we just might not know them yet.

So, Thurs 2 Feb is Time to Talk day. We’ve got lots of good quality material and ideas. Excellent.

3 weeks away. Let’s have another meeting so we can make it work well - sorry am being bossy! :slight_smile: Actually I like bossy me, because I think everyone who has replied to this post and anyone who would like to are people to be involved. Quiet or Not. We all bring something good to the table, that’s the lovely thing of life.

Thurs 13 Jan, 7-8pm - that’s tomorrow folks !
Fri 14 Jan, 7-8pm
Sat 15 Jan, 7-8pm
Sun 16 Jan, 7-8

Don’t worry if you can’t make it, add your thoughts to the post and all input will be included.

This is pure positive and purposeful :star2:

I’m away working till Sunday night, but will check in on Discourse periodically.