Proposed (Confirmed!) event: Time to Talk Day Thursday 2nd February 2017

Yes, let’s try for seven. Anyone here who can’t make that?

We might be able to fit in the social area?

Sorry double booked my self, I’m hosting a workshop that night. I should be able to leave the printed materials tomorrow at some point though.

1 Like

Ok thanks that would be great

I watched this thread and didn’t want to be involved because I have bi-polar II disorder. I don’t tell anyone because it’s an instant bad judgement put onto me. I used to but have found it doesn’t work well for me.

I see @Beth has proposed 4th Jan and all agree. That’s great cus it’s a month earlier than planned :slight_smile:

It is really good that we are now talking and connecting about mental health, world over. It’s great to watch the growth of opening and educating and changing perceptions and it’s very important to talk. I think it’s a good thing for Maker Space.

I work with mental health students, tell them my story so that they have one real story that helps them to help those they work with. This initiative happens at Kings College, they’re amazing, they do this for every disorder - heart attack, strokes, cancer, diabetic and others. It’s successful.

It would be good that somebody with experience to lead because many people have rarely or never told their story before and an outpour can lead to distress for that person and for the group. Long term experience has showed me this.

I would really like that @Beth and I lead if there are no objections to this. It doesn’t mean that we Lead as such, simply that we guide carefully. It’s an emotive area. (oops, sorry Beth, are you ok with that!)?

Do you know that we know more about the Universe than we do about our Minds? And that 200 years ago I would have been chained to a wall.

‘Bedlam’ is a shortening of Bethlehem which means in Arabic ‘House of Bread’ which really means ‘You are welcome in my home and I will give you food’. Where did we go wrong and just how many great ways can we change this to make all of us better? That’s my aim.

6 Likes

Fantastic post Jackie.

Tomorrow is a meeting to talk about the Time to Talk event, the actual event is still on 2nd February. Tomorrow is to get exactly this sort of planning sorted.

Yes, would be very useful to have experienced members as conversation starters: I was wondering about this already.

Thanks Dermot. Great, I will be there tomorrow.

My proposal for leaders wasn’t about conversation starters, I’m sure you get that, it’s really important to have at least 1 leader, I would like 2, because I know that good guidance is care full.

I have no problems with that. We can talk about it with everyone at the meeting later and hopefully put together something good.

It was a good meeting, thanks all, I think it will be a good event.

There isn’t any specific ‘lead’, we’ll be working together on the day. Really it’s just about keeping the flow going and checking in with each other.

Dermot’s got the notes (if you need help Dermot, I can type them up?)

Peter mentioned making scones. Twice … :wink:

1 Like

Hi I just discovered this community, here is my response to your proposed event.

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/a-brief-introduction/4558

Please let me know how I can access this community space, is it a case of just showing up?

I found this through SLaM’s website, it’s an excellent tool to dip in and out of, really useful.

https://www.wheelofwellbeing.org/

The most expedient approach might be for us to each post what we agreed individually to do. Then I’ll fiil in all the gaps, raise any queries, and break it out for others to get involve?

Yea, Pete definitely mentioned scones. I’m imagining cheese ones…

1 Like

Yes. Good idea, totally agree. Can’t do mine now, setting up website for meetings tomorrow.

We do need notes of what we chatted about though so all members see the outline plan.

Also, everyone who’s in this post and everyone else who would like to be involved to propose an idea based on their experience would be great. It’s a Maker Space thing :slight_smile:

Hadn’t thought about cheese scones, omg, have to get one tomorrow now that you’ve said that!

I’ll ask Fay (my wife) if she’d be interested in attending, as she’s a mental health professional

3 Likes

We proposed the time as 5-9pm on Thursday 2nd February for the ‘Time to Talk’ day - see the links above. Thursday is always the Electronic Night and I know we all appreciate that the Electronics group have offered to move their night, so thoughtful, thanks. However I think it’d be great if you’re all there, doing what you do! Making makes total sense to me.

Here’s what I said I would do:

• Tea and Scones at 5pm. Coffee too. Biscuits. Maybe crisps n nuts. I am happy to donate the scones, cheesy or not :wink: . Blackbird bakery do nice ones, just round the corner in Herne Hill to support local business. Replenished throughout the evening till supplies run out!

• Art books for browsing and inspiration, some of these inspirational works are in London to see! Art is medative, like good films and good books, you can revisit and think about them many times. I will put some prints from these on a part of the wall to be able to contemplate the joy of art. Art is essential to Life I think.

• Neon chalk for the 2 chalkboards for people to write on. Have 2 pass around chalkboards too. There’s lots of white chalk in the space too.

• Contact the woman who runs art/craft/creative/meditation sessions at SLaM (South London and Maudsley NHS Trust), she’s amazing, it’d be lovely if she could come along to have a short chat.

• Provide art materials so that people draw and know that what they do is good because whatever they do is good. They can take away something they have drawn.

• Provide ways of making bookmarks either from what’s been drawn and/or with paper and ink drops, including marbling, which I will laminate. Decoration optional.

• Knitting - have lots of wool and a few needles, can show the basics. You can knit with your fingers too so will download how to (never done this). Pompoms make good bookmarks too.

• Provide printed positive take away info about how to progress with relevant contacts and apps that are really helpful tools for mental health.

• (It’d be great to have a ‘sign up’ option for relevant apps open on computer/laptops on site so that people can create accounts. Hopefully download to their phones. A few phone usb cables for this needed. Let’s pool? Who’s good at this)?

I’m so thankful that MakerSpace is hosting this event. It’s a positive boost for all of us. Mental health is a good thing. Bring it on.

1 Like

Tom, that’d be great!

• caveat. I meant see the links above for Time to Talk! It’s at the beginning of the post.

btw, I’m listening to the Four Tops now, love them. Retro boost, it’s impossible not to feel good!

I am making the parcel for this activity: 17-Pass the Parcel of Chat_0.pdf (469.8 KB)

Also I am putting together some information about makers / artists / generally cool people who have lived / are living with a mental health disorder to display around the space and some pictures of their work.

It was a really good meeting.

1 Like

How do we add Zachary De Santos to the post, it’s got split, I don’t know how to.

Yeay! I love the Pass the Parcel idea. Love your gathering info and putting work on the walls. Superb. Art is one of my favourite things in the World. In every and all forms. I can’t live without it.