Proposal for Bike Maintenance and tools

Sounds like an affirmative on the bike maintenance. I shall swing by wielding the bike stand later this week. :smiley:

Cleats of any type +1

1 Like

Also up for grabs are 9 handy Allen keys. Free to a good home.

Hey, that’s really useful to know.

Btw +1 on bike maintenance.

Jan

One board of bike tools, movable but improvable

10 Likes

Pretty!

I’ve found a spare spoke key which I’ll deliver when next in.

Are you interested in marking your tools with engraver and or punches?

If so I can bring them in as well.

1 Like

Awesome job!

I have taken the liberty of adding a bottom bracket tool to the board. It is claimed to be compatible with Shimano and several other brands. I just fitted a Shimano Hollowtech 2 to my bike with it, but it required an adapter ring provided with the bottom bracket. Please do not lose the removable attachment.

10 Likes

There was talk back in the summer of getting a bicycle repair stand, but the push for more bicycle equipment seems subsequently to have lost its momentum. Is that a topic we can re-visit? I think a repair stand would be a very useful item. They are collapsible, so can have a very small footprint when not in use. Also on my wish list would be a wheel truing stand, as I have a couple of wheels I would like made up. I would be willing to join a group pledge toward purchasing either/both item/items if it is deemed that they can be kept in the space but should not be purchased with central funds.

Sure. I would advise you start a thread clearly marked as a proposal outlining what you propose, where it’all go and put it to the vote (see the metal lathe thread for ideas)

Can I put both of the items (repair stand and wheel truing stand) in a single thread? Or a separate thread for each?

@frasco mentioned he had a wheel truing stand that he might bring along.

I can bring it in on long term loan, if there is space for it.

It’s too heavy to cart in and out for sessions.

1 Like

What dimensions and weight are we talking about?

Frank, would you need some help bringing this to the Space?

@directors, do we have your approval to keep Frank’s wheel truing stand in the Space on loan? Or do we still need to consult the wider membership?

No, I can bring it in on a folding trolley.

1 Like

Yes, please do put a proposal to the wider membership, it doesn’t have to be one per item, just a proposal for the kit that you want bringing in, how much it’s going to cost and where you envisage it going.

I very much doubt there’ll be any objection, and certainly none from me, but we should get into the habit of consulting and decision making more widely rather than just deferring to the directors for a fast decision.

1 Like

Can you give us some information about the make and model and folded dimensions before going ahead with the formal proposal?

No make, doesn’t fold. Solid cast iron. I’ll measure it in the morning.

The stand is a Brown Bros ltd Millenium. I was given it about 10 years ago by someone who had inherited it from his father.

It’s made of cast iron, with a weight of 9.3kg, height about 500mm, width 300mm and depth 200mm.

Best used on the steel topped table with a magnetic test stand and dial indicator.

2 Likes

Can you envision there being a space for it near where the bike tools are currently?