Proposal for Bike Maintenance and tools

So I have the following ready to bring in, including the peg board if we would like it -

1 x set of blue Allen Keys
1 x Fue pedal Spanner
1 x Chain whip
1 x Cassette remover
1 x crank remover
1 x chain checker
1 x chain breaker
3 x parktool tyre levers
9 x fue allen keys for people to use/ take/ borrow when people need them.

I’m guessing we have some spanners for people to use to remove wheels etc…

If we want these tools feel free to ask me how to use any one them if someone isn’t sure, I’m not a mechanic so don’t know everything but happy to share what I know!
A heads up, if the chain checker is showing your chain is worn .5 you need a new chain, .75 is a new chain and cassette. :mountain_bicyclist:

Any ideas regarding where these can live or if we them is welcome. It could be possible to keep the tools by the door and work out front in the yard to free up space in the messy space if we’re aiming for simple maintenance jobs.

5 Likes

Forgot to mention, I also have a track pump I could bring that I need a few parts to fix it up before bringing it.

I’m very keen to have access to tools like this :slight_smile:

My advice would be to store them in a tool box or similar, so they don’t get re-appropriated for other uses.

If you do bring them in, we’ll want to mark them as yours in some way. This sort of thing is going to happen more and more now that construction is winding down.

A clearly marked shadow board serves this purpose well: it’s clear when something is missing.

I also thing these tools would be a benefit to the space, if not to me personally.

1 Like

Great, I’ll wait to hear from a few more members but sounds positive so far, if I bring them in on Sunday we can have a play around with where they will work best.

I’ve marked them with my initials and orange plastidip where possible to highlight them as mine but if theres a way we are doing it too, I’m up for that.

3 Likes

Actually, if anyone is in tomorrow to let me in I can bring them in then.

I’m totally for this ! I’m trying to redo my bike from the frame up as there is loads wrong with it, missing loads of knowledge and proper tools though

1 Like

Sounds interesting, these tools will help a lot , theres no bottom bracket tools though but a lot can be done with them.

+1 from me.

I have bottom bracket tools plus a couple others, I never use them much and would be happy to have them in the space using whatever system of labelling / cataloguing system we come up with.

Also some decent cable cutters would be good, if there’s more tools we think we need I’d be happy to pledge drive to get a set.

3 Likes

I have a large selection of general bike tools which I use when doing Dr Bike. Including a set of heavy-weight cable cutters.

3 Likes

Personally I don’t think shadow boards are a good idea for Makerspace.
Tools get lost.
Tools get upgraded.
People undonate them.
We have loads of tools.
Shadow boards are too static for our diverse nature.
They’ll quickly not be up to date and will just look naff if the shadow no longer is the right tool.
They work well for one guy in a shed.

Ild prefer to see dedicated tool boxes. In all rooms. For all activities. Activity boxes. Splash of paint to match the tool to the box. Boom

Personally.

(Awaiting incoming fire)

2 Likes

First, epic +1 for bike tools. Thanks Verity.

And yes, these tools need to be marked, and there needs to be a clear way of scanning whether they’ve all been put back. The drawbacks of shadowboards might actually be a positive for members tools?

I don’t agree that you need to do a visual scan to check all tools are there. But for sake of argument let’s say that’s one positive.

Tool box positive are:
You can carry a tool box. You can take it out side. You can take it in messy. Or to the wood shop. You can look in them and see what’s missing. They can be stored away. They don’t go out of date when you get new tools. They can be padlocked. You can’t visual check if “that tools still missing”, or “that tool changed” etc. We have small space with lots of activities. It would be good if activities could be packed away. So a bench could serve multiple functions if activity equipment can be got out for it easily. And then put away after. Then someone else comes along. Get activity box out and does something completely different on same bench.

Fludid multi functional workspace for multiple activities.

1 Like

If each box has a clear label of contents so we can check if something is missing I think this could work. It makes sense for us to be able to change activities completely and repurpose a bench quickly. I think I’m just used to having tools at hand on the wall. Am I right in thinking we each have a box to keep work in? Where are these being kept and are they secure/padlocked?

We don’t currently have members’ storage boxes.

This is a difficult issue. And there are a bunch of solutions…

@dermot types faster than me. That is all.

any ideas on having a bicycle repair stand thingy me bob?
Or is that for RepairSpace not MakerSpace?
I think one could be useful.
It could be very nice to be able to do repairs maintenance.

Shall we buy a bike stand for maintenance?

1 Like

I have an old simple one I could denote to the space.

2 Likes