Proposal for Bike Maintenance and tools

I’m not planning on doing a lot of bike maintenance in the space, I think the tools will let people, check their chain, replace it, change brake pads, puncture and cables, re tension bolts, change a cassette cranks and pedals when needed. These things can be done without a bike stand but it might be a good investment if the tools are popular, I can get a folding one (http://www.cyclesurgery.com/raleigh-folding-bike-workstand//bikes-components-bikewear/fcp-product/3981?listing=true) from work for about £50- £60) This is light and can be folded away, or you can get a wall mounted stand but that is more permanent.

Sounds good!

I think that would be a great addition to the space.
Nice one frank.
How is it for easy storage and unstorage (getting it out​:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:)

Will anyone be around to let me in tomorrow daytime?

You have access now?

On a side note : what happened to the online fob log thingy ?

I think you missed what I was getting at. I wasn’t saying everything should be a shadow board and that means no tool boxes. I was saying that shadow boards might be good in specific instances. Verity’s loan is
– focussed on a particular task
– a complete set of what’s needed
– the social contract is if part of the loan goes AWOL, it’s replaced like-for-like
A shadowboard by the bike / metal area seems a better fit for that than a toolbox to me.

A bike stand makes a massive difference to the ease of maintaining a bike. If we could get one, it would make a difference.

I didn’t say you said everything should have a board.
Don’t mis quote me.

I have my fob and a vouch from Pip and I think Frank that I only just saw! Woo! But when I booped my fob I think the system had been disconnected so it didn’t register. If someone with shutter access is around tomorrow I’ll come down with the tools and do a bit of work.

All that said I still think tool boxes are better in general.
Happy for there to be exceptions. Have shadows if you want them.

I would like to know if you thought any thing I said was positive though?

I think toolboxes for activities could be good. What do you think?

It was posted about ages ago. It broke.

There’ll likely be people around in the evening past 7:30 tomorrow, else this evening is open evening as well!

Thanks for letting me know, I work tuesday/wedns/ thursday evenings unfortunately, I imagine these are the best days to come and see people. I can come in on Sunday and set up the Bike bits then instead :slight_smile:

Sorry, No I don’t! I’ve just looked and it’s no longer in it’s appointed place.

I must have lent or given it away.

Sorry!

Chill! I didn’t quote you, check-back: I clarified myself, and kept it quite specific to this situation of Verity’s tools. No hate of tool boxes here!

Don’t worry Toby. I’m more chilled than the artic. But if you read back it seemed you were insinuating I was insinuating you wanted to have shadow thingies everywhere. I wasn’t. No probs. I genuinely wanted to know what you meant though.

When I ask what? Where? How big? It’s because I want to shar the vision not nay say.

So maybe just go into more detail than take it as an attack.

(Btw you did quote me. Twice. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:)

A crucial Discourse security update broke it. We’re waiting on the plugin author to update it.

Just to move this back on topic…

Do we want bike maintenance tools in the space?

We’ve had 4 @members express support for this on this thread as well as @VerityNichols who is offering the loan of her tools.

We have quite a few cyclists among us, so it ‘feels’ like a perfect fit for us.

But we really need to hear from a few more people before it can be rubber stamped.

1 Like

I think it would be a great thing to have available in the space, currently I have to carry my bike into the flat or tend to it on the curb.

Due to the diminutive nature of my current abode I’d be happy to offer up my Park bike stand. It’s pretty study but will also fold up to avoid it occupying a huge amount of space.

4 Likes

Yes please!

1 Like