Open Evening, Mar 8th, 7pm-9pm

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4976b7680>

Have you been lurking on Discourse for a while? Have you been curious to come and check out the space in person?? Maybe you signed up for the waiting list and have just been waiting?

Well then come along to:

Open Evening!

Come by the space and get a tour, see the tools, meet some Makers and ask any questions you may have! (There’s a rumor going round saying there will be cake! :cake: )

Date : Wednesday, Mar 8th, 2023
Time : 7pm - 9pm (drop in anytime, no reservation required)
Arch 1129, 41 Norwood Road,
London, SE24 9AJ

[It is in the railway arches, behind the Costcutter.
(Find South London Makerspace)

See you then!

Hey Mark, need any help with the open evening this week? Just an extra pair of hands? I’d be keen to help out.
Cheers,
Will

3 Likes

Hi Will,

Thank you so much for offering! That would be absolutely awesome and your help would be much appreciated!

See you Wednesday,
Mark

1 Like

Cool. What time are you arriving?

I’m aiming for 6pm, ish.

1 Like

See you then :+1:

I could call in too, if one more face is useful.
As mentioned previously, still being ‘new’ there will be detail questions that I cannot answer - but I think I can dispense enthusiasm, describe the place and it’s function in general terms and explain the ethos, etiquette etc.

3 Likes

Always welcome, Tony! Happy to see you!

See you later!

Heya!

@Geraetefreund, @TonyP, @will-hay and anyone else there tonight, could you see if you can squeeze any more trash (from arch 2 prob) in the blue wheelie bin and move both of them over by the entry to the estate before tomorrow?

Add: put more in Even if it doesn’t close 100% - take a look at the rest….

Thank you!!!

Gotcha!

2 Likes

Nice! Thanks!!

The name that I was wracking my ageing brains for yesterday evening - whilst we were discussing knitting machines - is Jacquard, hence the punch-card controlled ‘Jacquard Loom’ which he patented in 1805.

Although I now read that other Frenchmen had been developing punched paper tape controlled looms as much as eighty years earlier; and according to Wikipedia this led to the first automated lathes, built to turn patterned impression rollers - also for the textile industry.

1 Like

Of course! See, my brain librarian couldn’t deliver quick enough either! Don’t give yourself a hard time. There’s just too much good stuff stored up there! Takes a while to index.

My brain wasn’t up to speed either - couldn’t find that awesome thing @Kyle had built:

But tadaa - very few things a good cup of coffee can’t fix: Here’s the link to Kyle’s awesome punch card knitting hack, if you hadn’t stumbled across it yet. Lasers, punch cards, knitting robots - unmitigated maker magic!

1 Like