Need help with 3D printing (castable filament)

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49aa02c10>

Hello!

I have a big question about printing, but first - my story

• my friend creates 3d models (ring models, I want to make silver jewellery)
  • we have printed them at Pro3DShop (they say that they printed it with “MPJ 2500 machine + with wax”, they do not say which wax they used, but they say that the wax is ok for casting by casting company!)
  • I attended an induction for Bambu printer

My question is:
-is there any filament (like castable wax) which is ok for Bambu AND which is ok for casting company (it means that the printed object is made of something which suitable for melting during casting process, I believe that my casting company uses Lost Wax Casting method if that’s make any sense for you)?

Many Many thanks!

Check out Polymaker Polycast. My use is different, and I ended up going with something else, but something like that might be suitable for you - if @3Dtechs allow that to be used on a Bambu.

2 Likes

I’ve never tried it but I’ve heard of people doing Lost-PLA casting. No idea of the casting company would allow that though.

1 Like

I’m almost sure that no one will cast from PLA (standart Bambu filament!) )

I’m also thinking about printing my models with standart Bambu filament just to see how they look - before buying wax filament etc

But I do not have a shatter access and all nearest Bambu time slots are booked(

The most suitable solution would be to print on the resin printer with a burn out resin such as this.

They are expensive but are designed specifically for lost wax casting. The downside you will have with a filament is the level of accuracy on jewellery.

If you want to pursue printing with filament, we would need to do some testing as this could be very tricky to print with. There will be a risk of residues left in the machine and i dont think we would allow this on the Bambu Machines. It also looks like these would print at temperatures low enough where modification to the printer might ne needed to override some safety features. I see printing temps as low as 140C. This for instance

https://machinablewax.com/wax-filament/

We could look at temporary mods with the prusa/ender 3 that are at the space.

2 Likes

What about Thursday?

Thank you so much!
The second part of your message looks like it’s better to go to Resin printer!) (Sorry my english is not perfect)

I do not want to break Bambu or to cause some pain in some asses!

I’ve already put my name into Resin printer Induction list, so I’m looking forward to see my name is chosen for the next induction))

If it’s this Thursday (2 May), It sounds perfect!)
As far as I can see, You’ve booked the space from 10 till 17?
Can I join you and print 3 rings (normal ring size, not a giant ring) and 2 small flat round details (10mm diametr)?

Sure - any time you like.

Amazing, thank you so much!

How do you think, if i arrive about 11, how long does the printing process take?

No problem! Nice if everyone can get the best from the space.

How long it takes depends on size, how many pieces, what settings you have etc. from what you’ve said, I’d guess 40 mins -2 hours perhaps (?).

For small pieces like that, if you want fine detail, then I’d consider printing on the resin printer. I’m inducted on that, and since you aren’t yet, I could help you with that. You could try printing on both and compare. Then you’ll know which to use in future. I may be wrong, but I believe there may be lost wax type resin for SLA printers (like the Anycubic resin).

I’m also in all day tomorrow until very very late. I’m using the Bambus on a longish print tomorrow, but could try the resin then if you want.

1 Like

Dan, thank you so so much!
If it’s still ok - I will arrive tomorrow to the space! I would love to print my pieces on both machines, so exited)

I’ll arrive about 10:30-11:00, if that’s ok!

Yes, that works for me. Printers have now been booked for that. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This company seems experienced with the integration of 3d printing and metal casting and offers services with varying degrees of customer creative involvement. Might be worth looking into?

2 Likes

Hi Sam!
What do you think about this baby for Bambu? https://polymaker.com/product/polycast/
It looks like a good option, it has better printing temp and maybe it can work with Bambu (and people say that it burns out as well as wax during lost wax casting)

This looks like it could work nicely. I would like to run through the test printing with you as we will need to customise some profiles. The is the added benefit as you can smooth the prints with IPA to get rid of the layer lines.

1 Like

The other option of course is to 3d print it out as normal, then make a silicone mould, and put wax as normal

Of course! I’m trying to figure out the price for both ways.
If I go the simpliest option (3d print the ring out as normal, make a mould, put wax into the mould and cast it), I will have a mould with non-perfect printed details, I will get a silver ring with those imperfections, I will make it perfect and then spend money for another mould - to make a mould of perfect ring to repeat it)
If I find how to buy polycast and if it works for Bamboo, I will have castable pieces and save time and money (maybe, not sure about money)

TBH I really don’t know how to do a mould) I just saw some video on Instagram