Monday night music makers. From 7pm onward

I’ve met some musically inclined peoples at the space and while my own skills are moderate at best I would love to collaborate with fellow SLMS members.

I see this as an offline + online group where by we can meet at the space sometimes and see where that takes us, along with an online space to exchange work files and stuff.

Personally, I have no desire to merge into any external non-slms groups. So would love to form our own group.

5 Likes

I own bought copies of FL Studio, Logic, Ableton 9, Renoise, and some nice audio packs like superior drummer and omnisphere 2, along with a subscription to splice for samples library. I have a couple of decent studio mics and some small midi keyboard/drumpad devices and a desire to make some synthesizers in the future.

2 Likes

I’m probably up for that but concerned a few others may see it as taking over the space :rofl:
sorry couldn’t resist

Not at all - so long as there is a clear consensus for this happening, we are much in favour.

1 Like

This would be great!

In depressing reality I will be spending quite a lot of time trying to get my own musical projects finished for a live performance/album release at the moment and for the next few months so will be a bit limited in how much time I have until the autumn, but this is pretty central to what I wanted to use SLMS for.

Not much of a live player, but definitely up for building synths, offering up tracks for remix, or remixing things, or collaborating on a track, or making tracks with synths the group built, or bringing down a bunch of MIDI controlled gameboys… Or anything to do with electronic music pretty much, especially lofi/DIY.

Actually got shared some schematics for building a simple cv controlled analog synth with a filter from basic components from a friend the other day…
If there’s interest maybe we could get the group together to do a group build of something like that in the future… (that’s just an idea, interested whatever form this takes really!)

2 Likes

tempted to register a domain,such as:
southlondonmusicsubspace /com/org/net/whatever

I have an unfinished modular synth project which I started about 4 years ago. I think that will be coming back on to the table when I’ve finished my current project.

I have so far built 2 and a half modules from yusynth.net, but did a lot of excel work to figure out a BOM from selecting a number of his modules.

2 Likes

A friend once had a Korg M1 with a joystick which had pitch on one axis and modulation(?) on the other. You could make some eerie sounds.

Am I right in thinking that MIDI enables the assignment of any sample as an electronic ‘instrument’? So ‘notes’(keys) on a keyboard or other device would change the pitch of the instrument?

Also, just had a thought that the 3D printer and/or other devices in the space might have musical applications. Either from the sound they actually make or by translating the code/motion into a sound or light display

1 Like

MIDI is basically a communication protocol that transmits “events” (in a very general sense). But basically, if you can hook two things together with MIDI, and you can program the things in some way, you can do more or less anything.

2 Likes

there’s quite a lot of mileage in using one of these:

to record the electromagnetic signatures of things (the 3D printer for example). You get some pretty otherworldy and industrial noises.

Pretty sure such a thing is relatively simple to make as well (I was just lazy and bought one)

on the MIDI front, basically what Callum said - you can in theory translate anything - x/y co-oridnates, temperature, light levels into a MIDI value from 0-127 and then use that value to control anything else with a bit of work.

for example:

2 Likes

as suspected not all that tricky!

1 Like

I’ve got one somewhere

1 Like

sample EVERYTHING!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

here’s one project I got up and working recently between home and SLMS…

MIDI-via-Teensy controlled YM2149 chip (as used in the Atari ST). It’s now in a box too, but I don’t have a video of that!

1 Like

Fun fact: it’s permitted to use MIDI to control pyrotechnics. But not DMX.

@tomnewsom - any progress on your robot drummer ? :smiley:

1 Like

?

1 Like
3 Likes

this seems like the right place to post this - finished the first project I started in SLMS - modifying a super famicom so that it becomes a MIDI controlled gameboy with clean audio outs and a nicer screen/video cap:

1 Like

i love that so much

1 Like

Count me in, I’m a musician. I’m setting up a small project studio in Lee and tend to do maker-related stuff at the space, but do music proactise elsewhere, maybe we could hire a rehearsal space once we made something

1 Like