Making a shed

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4a13d88d8>

I may just hold you to that…cheers :+1:t2:

Hi Hannah,
I just started making my shed, it has been a very slow process because life keeps happening.

I also know a few other makers/spacers who have built sheds too and been very helpful.
What’s your design?

3 Likes

That is a small house Beth :smiley:

1 Like

Where else am I going to make dragons?

3 Likes

Bejezus!

That’s gonna be one impressive space when it’s finished. What’s the plans for it? What are you cladding it in/making the roof out of?

Would’ve loved to have built a larger shed/workshop, but was only allowed a 6x4 by the council :pensive:

I am planning on exterior OSB with shingles on the walls and GRP roof. That’s the plan…

Never seen the shingles on osb technique before. Do you have to treat the osb first, or will the adhesive/shingle coating provide enough weather protection?

D’oh!

Silly me. I was thinking shingles as in small stones, like pebble-dashing! What a plonker. Google has shown me you obviously mean cedar shingles or similar?!

Nice. I like the effect it gives.

No so I can’t afford cedar, I am thinking to use the kind of bitumen roof ones. Originally I was thinking of using shiplap cladding but the shingles are cheaper. I can’t find anyone who has put them on the walls but I can’t think of a reason not too. Can’t use them for the roof ironically as it is less than 5° pitch.

As an aside, I happened across something called Shou Sugi Ban (Japanese for burnt cedar wood). You can clad your house/shed in charred wood sidings which is not only beautiful to look at, but provides good weather and fire protection.

I’m guessing I already know the answer…this isn’t something that is suitable to do in the space, is it?

Not sure. You just use a blow torch right?

The thing is I actually don’t care much what this shed looks like. (Sorry all you design peeps) I just care that it is water tight, insulated, safe and doesn’t fall apart in 2 years.

1 Like

Yeah. The traditional way is to get three lengths of the wood and arrange them into a triangular prism type shape and set the fire inside the tube the wood makes. That way the fire burns one side of each plank at the same time. Obviously setting large scale fires in an enclosed space full of sawdust is a bit of a H&S nightmare. However the cheats way is to take a blowtorch to the facia you want burnt. Again, probably a task best left to makers individual gardens!

1 Like

@Beth your shed is huge! Amazing! I don’t have a design yet. I have an allotment plot and we can have a 6x4 shed (or there abouts, a few people do go above that size).

Silly question, but what is the shed going to be used for? Think the usage determines the design to some extent.

Yep think about the use and your budget. Where the light is etc. One of the hardest things I had to think about was the base.

It will probably be for storage. As an overflow, as I have a small ugly corrugated metal shed which was there since I got the plot.
I want to keep a BBQ in the shed, some chairs, and possibly even some woodwork or metalworking tools. The other potential use is wendy house/shelter for my daughter (she’s 8) for when we have picnics and stuff at the allotment.
So, lots of options and potential there! I would probably budget £100 max, as a starting point. I’d like to use repurposed wood. There is actually a rickety falling-apart-shed on the allotment plot next to mine, I was wondering if it would be worth taking the wood and using that!

Reclaimed wood always great. Keeps the cost down. What’s the security like at the allotments? Has anyone reported break-ins etc? The only concern I would have if you were storing valuables is making sure the shed is sturdy enough to make life difficult for potential thieves.

I don’t think security is a massive issue to be honest, but it would need a lock. I doubt someone would break it apart to get into it!

Cool. Can’t be too careful these days.

If there’s already a dilapidated shed available on the next plot and you’re allowed to use it, would be ideal to use that as a base and then add some additional reclaimed bits and bobs to bring it up to useable condition. Would probably be the easiest/cheapest option. That’s unless it’s in a right state!