Making a shed

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49b5d7bf8>

I was thinking in making a shed as well maybe we should meet up and plan it together…

Where’s the iceberg basement a.k.a. dragons’ den? :smiley:
PS How can the rosebush be a contentious issue? You could fit a helipad in that backgarden! :smiley: :smiley:
PPS Good to know there are white posh women at SLMS #diversity :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sure @cibelesoaresalvareng! I’m not sure I’ve met you yet? I’m at the space most Thursday evenings. I can potentially come in a different day/time as well. I’m going to see if I can use the wood from the plot next to mine.

There’s a picture of my plot here, and you can just about see the falling-apart-next-door-neighbours-shed.

Does look a little rickety. The main thing if they let you have it is if the frame is decent. Rotted slats can easily be replaced with some pallet wood or similar.
Do you know what sort of footing the other sheds on the plot are stood on? What would be your plans for the foundations as it were?

I don’t think the frame is in good condition. The whole thing is only still standing because there is a massive filing cabinet inside and a metal pole supporting it outside :confused:. I guess that’s not an option then. I will probably search for palettes. We can do whatever we like for the base. All the sheds are completely different.
I saw these plastic things, I can’t find the original ones I saw (which were marginally cheaper) but they are like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D1S9ZEE?psc=1. I was also thinking I could potentially find some old bricks or paving slabs people may be giving away on freecycle type places. I don’t really want to use concrete but I could.

Shame about the frame.
I think the paving slab idea could be the cheapest. People always getting rid of them on Freecycle and Gumtree. Maybe then get some tantalised/green wooden beams and make a frame. Whack a sheet of osb on it and bosh. Solid flooring for next to nothing.
@Beth’s concrete flooring looks awesome. We went for a wooden frame over type 1 rubble and a sheet of osb wrapped in waterproof sheeting as we didn’t want to pour concrete, but if I had to do it again with time/effort/money not an issue, I’d definitely go concrete.

Yep but it is a lot easier for me as I have been saving for over a year to be able to do it. If I had next to no budget and needed something now the options are more limited.
The only thing not so good is the floor will be cold. But hoping I can insulate everything else enough to make up for it

Some expanded polystyrene floor insulation and OSB floor should see you right.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-25mm-General-Purpose-Polystyrene-1200-x-2400mm/p/210823

Worth it to keep the floor from sucking the heat out through your soles IMO

Haha I might be a white posh woman if I actually owned the land and was well…posh. If I told you about the iceberg basement I couldn’t use it as my top secret lair obviously.

1 Like

Or wear very thick socks :wink:

Just re-read the thread and saw your post about using the bitumen tiles. Missed that first time round. Anyway, I can’t see any problem with that. So long as the edge of the top one is covered, shouldn’t have any issues with water penetration. Our shower at home is OSB with slate tiles cladded over it. The seams have been siliconed to aid water protection, but it has worked fine. Been like that for about 4-5yrs now and haven’t had an issue. That’s in a shower that is used daily, so I think it’ll work just fine for a shed that only gets rained on about 75% of the year given the UK climate…

1 Like

I have a couple of things I’m not sure about with this. The floor would be raised so the door frame would have to be altered to account for it and then there would have to be some kind of ramp. Other thing is I don’t know if it would make a difference with cleaning and stuff having OSB instead of concrete. Going to be a mixture of wood work, casting, painting and generally making a mess hapening in there. And also the amount of weight on the floor. Needs to be dead solid for the lathe to limit vibration.
On the other hand if it is going to be too cold to work in it’s all useless anyway.

Yeah with all that going on, warm socks are probably a better bet!

1 Like

I like your hardware. I want something maybe like that on my doors, not sure what yet.

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/cranked-hook-and-band-on-plate-600mm-black-galvanised-211334

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UZ9EHBE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used 6" carriage bolts to fix the hinges to the doorframe - went right through the 4x2 loft beams. Had to be solid given the weight of the door. Would highly recommend these particular hinges. VERY sturdy.

1 Like

Hello Hanna I haven’t seen you for a while and I was wondering if you have build your shed or have started some of your project. Hope you are well and II would like to know your plans for next year and if you used the book that I lend to you.
Have a Merry Xmas!!! X