Maker Raft Race - August 5th 2017

Team photo before the race:

Launching:

HMS Makerspace alone in the water:

Dirty tactics:

Water balloon misses us:

The Maker Fleet assembles:

They make it to the top securing our victory by sitting on the chair and rattling the bucket:

The victors claim their prize:

6 Likes

HMS Makerspace? She was called “©raft beer”! Tip o’ the hat to Lucas for that one.

And, yes, what a great 24 hours. Winning is obviously splendid, but the team effort was fab regardless. So many little details of people chipping in with good ideas (and stopping bad ones!).

3 Likes

Outstanding!!! Congratulations guys. Brilliant raft design and the flag looked spectacular.

Innit. But with that windage it’s a good thing the wind was blowing down the course, not up it!

Any chance we can hang the flag up in the space? Would look great!

1 Like

Good job …

Just shows how much we can achieve

We could fix it to the chimney stack at the back of Jelly Tots – would be seen by passing trains then.

Thanks for the messages guys!
And an enormous thank you to everyone involved - @Dermot (for doing a lot of driving, picking up materials, building and racing… And not a lot of sleeping), @tobyspark and Eva, @Esther_Gladstone, @cibelesoaresalvareng, @Tariq, @Howard, @unknowndomain, @Andy and @people-i-can’t-find-on-discourse.
What a great fun 24 hours of intenstive making, racing, cheering, celebrating and deconstructing.

3 Likes

Relating to Maker Raft Event and Original Maker Raft thread

What do we need?

• raft – in progress : @tobyspark, @TomHedges, @Dermot working on basic structure of this over next couple of nights. Final assembly will happen at the boat club on Saturday.

• paddles/oars – being made on Friday night by @TomHedges and @Dermot , and whoever’s around?

• flag – @tobyspark

• flagpole – @Howard can we have a 2m bamboo cane for this?

• 10 no. webbing ratchet straps, 38mm x 1m – these serve the purpose of 'holding the whole thing together’
    We have 2, and @lewisss has lent 4 more. 4 more needed!

What would be nice to have?

• t- shirts, or hats, or sashes ? Something to mark us out as a distinct team? @textilestechs? @silkscreentechs?

• decoration for the Space ©raft – at the moment it’s going to look like a bunch of plastic beer kegs strapped to some fencing timber…because that’s what it is. There’s a world of opportunity for decorating this – making the the side arrays of key kegs look like booster rockets is but one option. @tobyspark has something in mind with an old mac laptop and origami too…

P.S. yes i made this a private post, simply so we can keep some surprises from other workshops

1 Like

Apologies to @textilestechs as I left all the flag making stuff out when called away two hours earlier than expected. Might any of you be around tomorrow night to give a hand with the heat press?

1 Like

Help yourself to bamboo

1 Like

Hi raffters
It’s ia very cool project, hope I can help with some think. I can come tonight and help to print some
T-shirts and /or bags?!
And also help with the heat press if still needed, please let me know, I can buy some t-shirts in the market before hand what colour???

1 Like

That’d be great! Up to you with T-shirts, but I guess red and white are our standard colours?

I’ld love to come and watch but I’m up in Manchester on Saturday.
If anyone is going to watch could you video it pls!?

Poundland luggage straps…in lieu of ratchet straps.

They’re strong: question is can we tighten them enough? And will there be enough friction to prevent them loosening? And how do we ensure they work? Stitching is a bit stingy too

Could work - especially if we position the proper ratchet straps tactically around the vessel first. Get length correct, then sew the loose end tightly into the strap so they can’t loosen? Any risk of cheap plastic plug and socket breaking under strain?

@dermot - did you manage to pick up the all-important kegs? How many, and in what condition?

Yes, got 6 more key kegs ‘fully chargrd’. Gave them a wash down yesterday, and they’re in the snug.

The plastic fastening seems strong. I bought and extra in case we wanted to test to destruction!

1 Like

Will grab some in Brixton market how many? They are £3 each

There’ll be me, Tom and Toby, plus a teeny size for Eva? Anyone else coming?