Make The Space - Saturday 3rd June 2017

Yes, B&Q, and ScrewFix do them.

As a business we are best to go down the Hippo route as local tips are meant for domestic residents.

1 Like

Not able to get down today and unfortunately can’t help out this weekend as I have my son, but could quickly drop them down tomorrow if needed. They’re 750mm x 350mm and I have 4 of them. They have holes for concealed hinges, but I only have the one hinge for them. The hinges used are relatively inexpensive.
Looking at the dimensions, they may be useful for part of the cabinets, but won’t fit the whole lot. If they’re okay to use we could replicate them using the ply that’s knocking about down there so all the cabinets have uniform doors? Let us know if you think they’ll be okay.

Looking at the photo of the kitchen and the measurements, the only place the doors I’ve got would be of any use is the two small compartments that meet at the corner. One is 37cm and the other 35cm wide. The doors I have are about 12-15mm thick, so there wouldn’t be much of a gap between where the doors meet.

Could then knock up some matching doors for the larger cabinets. If this can wait and nobody else is free to do it sooner, I can come down Monday week to make a start on them so long as a woodtech is about to assist with the table saw.

I don’t think there is any chance of getting it done sooner :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I guess the only requirement is that it fits in with the rest of the space - birch ply or hints of white / black / red. If the style and color pallet are followed game on - putting ideas forward on discourse first is always nice.

Another option is that we have had funds okayed for us to buy birch ply for the doors. So if you fancy taking that on [measuring up, sourcing (probably Witton Timber), taking care of delivery / collection and installing] that is always an option. How would you feel about doing that?

1 Like

We could do 1x3 frames with correx in the center panel, like a picture frame.

Yeah. Sounds good. My bro’s a Makerspace member too and has trade accounts at Wittons and a few other places, so can grab the stuff for a decent price. Screwfix for the fixings is probably best.
There was a big stack of ply in the messy room. Is that already earmarked fo elsewhere?
Either way, happy to take on that particular project. I can draw up some plans when I’m next down and go from there.

Was also thinking some pigeon-hole type storage on top of the divide between kitchen & lounge area would be good. Nothing major. Maybe 30cm high, running the length of the divide. Solid backed on the lounge side and sliding doors on the kitchen side. Would be a good place to store dry food and drink items. Again keeping in with the colour scheme. What you reckon?

Sounds like we can leave the doors in your capable hands.

Pigeon holes I don’t know, not up to me, probably needs wider approval / comment.

1 Like

Very constructive day all in all.

@Jonathan_Bassett came down for the first time and did a great job painting some of the sewing corner draws with the remaining Osmo Oil. We need some more.

@Esther_Gladstone made an awesome container for the wood pile.

@fincheee did a great job on the door trim in the woodshop and clean room

And I ploughed on and tieded the garden area.

3 Likes

The hippo is still in the garden area as it would have been too much work to load it myself and take it to the gate. But we should probably move it there before ordering collection. Might need to decant some of it before moving. Let’s do that asap.

In the interest of protecting the innocent, it was me @fincheee who did the door trim. Good effort by all today.

Sounds like a productive day – seems like ages since a make the space day. Props to @boldaslove for organising and all those who came and worked!

1 Like

Yes it’s been a while. Perhaps we can reboot advertising them to get new folk down. It was good to see new and old faces donating there time.

There’s def still loads of work getting done by others but I think it’s good to do these shout outs to get new folk involved. That’s my pennies worth

Sorry and thanks for correction. Updated the post now. See you soon!

Can confirm I was not present today. Did not do the trim.

1 Like

Opps! So many members now it’s not easy to get the names right :wink:

1 Like

@joeatkin2 @lewisss - do you guys happen to know if there’s enough spare ply knocking about the space to make 2 doors for the kitchen cupboards, 72cm x 46cm each? If not, will source elsewhere. Cheers.

No I don’t think that we have amy spare

No worries. Worth a try. Cheers.

@directors I’ve loosely priced up the doors and it comes to a shade under £100. That’s the ply, hinges & handles. Would need some more osmo too, but I’m lead to believe that’s someone else’s responsibility.
Does that sound reasonable, and if so, shall I send you an exact price once I have it before purchasing?

1 Like

@directors sorry to ask again, but I’ve got some time off coming up where I can get down and sort out the kitchen cupboards. Obviously need authorisation first. Does the £100 budget sound okay? If so, can you let us know the next steps to get this sorted please? Cheers.