Lazer engraving a Long Leather belt

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa498887bf8>

They say wear your interests on your sleeves, I figured I’d try my waist.
Got a design on inscape for engraving a pure leather belt however I haven’t engraved leather before Its about 4mm of “premium quality Genuine leather” whatever that means.
So far as I can tell no synthetics.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about laser settings and or clean up. I have been told lasered leather can make a smell?
The belt is longer than the print bed and obviously I don’t want to run the risk of obstructing the path of the head or accidently hitting the metal. My current plan was to prop it up on some ply wood to help fold the belt out the way and to do it in sections, however I am told that there is some kind of rotating tool for glassware that could be used instead, is anyone who has experience with this tool planning to visit the space sometime soon ?

The rotary tool is for objects with a smaller circumference, so I don’t think that wouldn’t help you.

As to smell, that may be sorted by the ventilation, but I would appreciate it if you didn’t do it this Friday or Saturday in case the space gets stinked out for the festival.

Sections sound fine. You can use the tie-downs to fold it in place.
A jig might help to keep the belt consistently aligned as you move to the next section.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

It certainly does smell…

Updates!

4 Likes

Hi Graeme,

We are starting to look at our content inclusion for the Dulwich festival Maker fair we have a “Don’t be Shy! submit your Make” event happening on Friday. Would this be of any interest to you maybe and/or do you know anyone else I can reach out too?

Cheers
Dorine

1 Like